Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Temporary gate band

Author Topic: Temporary gate band
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2004 07:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today while working at a customers theatre in JAckson, WY. I ran into a broken gate band on a Century SA, it had just happened the night before. I was out of bands in my normally well stocked van from the last stop on Thursday and this locaction didn't have any either..... in fact they can't ever remember them changing one or anyone else changing them in 30 years....we just took over servicing this location. The customer did have another location with Christie projectors and a good stock of parts including bands. So out of a Christie band was born a temporary SA gate band.... the Christie bands are pretty easy to re-fashion into what ever you need because they are thinner than most.... the longer end of the Christie band is a pretty close match in length for the top attachment point of SA trap and then cutting off the bottom end I used a nail to punch through and had a nice hole through the cut end and the bottom was attached to the trap.... running a test loop confirmed everything was good to go.... and they did just that a few min late for the 5PM show.... The real bands will arrive on Monday.....

Mark @ CLACO

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-11-2004 07:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice tip Mark. [thumbsup]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-11-2004 09:04 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Mark gets the 76 Trombones Award for this Band Aid repair.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was somewhat surprised at how easy it actually was. The Christie band is pretty darn long and could fit several machines as an in case of emergency band(aid). Will try too post a pic tommrrow but am taking most of thhe day off to hike up in the Tetons [Cool] .

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-12-2004 11:11 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a day in the Tetons you'll want to spend the evening at Chi Chi's.

Linguists will understand.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 11:42 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great tip, Mark...

I also wonder if a band could not be fashioned out of K & S sheetmetal...susally found at most hobby shops and ACE Hardware stores?

Cheers

Kutler

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-12-2004 11:45 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, sukebe! [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2004 06:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope! I'm headin to the world famous Cowboy Bar for a 24 OZ Porterhouse steak. Alot of hikin makes one hungry...

As for the K&S sheet metal it did come to mind and there is a well stocked Ace here in Jackson that would probably have it or sometrhing close.... as for hobby shops I doubt there is one here cause most people have outdoor hobbies around here. Geez, just the number of fly fisherman standing in the rivers around here would scare the pants off Robert Redford! Its amazing they don't catch each other [Eek!] .

Mark

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 10:11 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark

Here's a suggestion for your tool box.

Are you familiar with the small hobby tools from Northwest Short Line? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-13-2004 10:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Link please Will......

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: