Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie AM-8 automation blows fuses

Author Topic: Christie AM-8 automation blows fuses
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-11-2004 06:10 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...when powered up by the circuit breaker on the console. I haven't been to the location yet to look at it. I didn't find troubleshooting tips or a schematic anywhere. I am thinking that maybe the timer motor is stuck. But would that blow the fuse right when the automation is powered up? Probably not since it's activated only when the start relay is latched.
Anyway, any good tips?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2004 07:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would disconnect all external; stiff form the automation...cue detectors and ancillary stuff thats being fed fomr the units power supply and then see if the thing holds. Could be as simple as a bad power tranny a bad cue detector or cue board if equipped with such. AM-8's are one of the most reliable units made so i would be surprised if something really serious was amuck.

Mark @ CLACO

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2004 11:16 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this problem a few times with this automation, check the power transformer, this was the problem both times this happen...

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 06:43 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good multimeter would be the best tool to use here,
I think the ohms range would be the way to go.
Dont forget to isolate the mains supply!
Oh and read the meter instruction book. [Smile]

Stan

Samuel Hynds
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 09:24 AM      Profile for Samuel Hynds   Email Samuel Hynds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hay Michael,

Check the sockets of the relays, these conections have sometimes fallen back away from the relay and could be shorting on something? [Confused]

Good luck [Razz]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-13-2004 05:55 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I came to the location, it turned out to be just that the fuses they had in there were too small - just 1A instead of the 3A specified in the schematic.
Bit thanks for all the tips, I am sure they will be useful some other day.

Oh, and Stan - you already look like a retard in your picture, I don't think you need to emphasize that with your stupid and aggressive responses to my posts.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-13-2004 06:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stan Gunn....
Dont forget to isolate the mains supply!

This one deserves a sarcastic reply!

Someone back in my Basic Electronics class in High School once said that the power transformer does exactly that......

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-13-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, pour yourself a real big drink and stop being an ass.

You don't look like the brightest bulb in the string in your picture. Stan's looks just fine.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-13-2004 07:15 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to see that you defend him, but you are apparently not aware that he did that quite a few times, sometimes quoting me out of context, getting aggressive. I have no idea why, maybe I just happen to look a little like that uncle who did all those terrible things to him when he was a boy?

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 07:19 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

ok, you got me on that one. I was also taught the same.

Michael.

It says a lot about a person in the way they talk about someone they have never met.
It says even more when they accuse a family member of commiting revolting acts against a child.
A look at my past posts will show MY attitude to other members of this forum.

Subject closed.

Stan Gunn.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-16-2004 03:49 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It says a lot about a person in the way they talk about someone they have never met.
A look at my past posts will show MY attitude to other members of this forum.

Dear Stan,
I couldn't say it better: we never met, neither in person nor in the chat room or in a discussion - you just sometimes like to post aggressively towards me. Then I think "WTF is that guy? He doesn't even know me, like Brad or Mark who do and have real and valid reasons to hate me". That shows what YOUR attitude is indeed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: