Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Switcher supplies age/improvements (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strong Switcher supplies age/improvements
Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2004 07:59 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking at buying a few Strong switching single-phase xenon power supplies (1-3kW output) and am told by the seller that they are of approx. 1995 vintage, with a model number 628005. Can anyone tell me if this model/year had a number of defects/problems, i.e. should I avoid these? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-10-2004 08:44 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warning Will Robertson, warning, warning [Big Grin]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2004 11:39 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The early Strong switchers would literally burn giant holes thru the circuit boards. Repair parts for them are not available anymore and Strong has a replacement/upgrade program detailed on their website.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-10-2004 01:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, just found out that model # is the first-version of the switcher. Major parts no longer available, and Strong doesn't offer repair/exchange on it -- only upgrades to newer units.

[edit] Sorry, Ken... that's pretty much what you just said! [Smile]

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, thanks all for the info...I did check out Strong's product bulletin # PB-041, dated 8/4/03...YIKES!!!! [Eek!]

They are known as "version 0" and if something goes wrong, Strong will not exchange it for another version-0...they may repair it and return it (for a fee) if they still have the parts in question...an upgrade to a version-1 replacement would be $1200 direct to a retail customer like me, a little less if thru a dealer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-10-2004 06:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The power MOSFETS used in the VER 0 are long obsolete devices.
That is whay they can't be repaired any longer.

Mark @ CLACO

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2004 03:28 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, all...I will likely go with a new current version-2 model.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-11-2004 04:02 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parts for something nine years old are 'long obsolete' [Confused] Or has the seller gote the date wrong?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2004 07:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin,
We have a ton of the new Strong switchers out there, some operating in pretty hostile power areas and we have had zero failures. What we do and what I can attribute to this is both the fact that they are VERY good supplies and that we install surge superssion devices in all the locations that have them. I would think that even for portable use these would be possible to have in the power line some place..... I highly reccomend them.

Stephen, Even the obsolete semi houses in Asia dont have them any longer.... I've tried!

Mark @ CLACO

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-11-2004 09:16 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone used a switcher on a regular ol' Lumex? Does the no-load voltage get high enough to fire the igniter?

Or, are there modifications that need to be made, so they will work together?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point! Yes you might need to change the zener in there.... but there are thousands of Lum-Exs working on switchers both old and new in the form of the Strong Super Trooper. BUT... Strong has switched even the spotlights over to the newer DC ignitor in those and the ignition is still touch and go.... sometimes the HV arcs over to anything else but through the lamp itself and that anything else could be any number of other metal objects inside the lamphouse. Insulating the ignitor casing on the bottom with a thick piece of delrin helped alot of the rental spotlights at GTS as the HV also arced right through thhe casing and down the nylon mounting screws to the metal angle mounts which were bolted to the chassis. Hope I haven't confused you...

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-12-2004 12:04 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will the switchers work with AC igniters (talking about the Lumex, with the neon tube PCB firing circuit), or are they designed exclusively for DC units?

Is that Lumex igniter board even still supported, or was there an upgrade for that? Gettin' to be a long time being away from all this... I've forgotten a lot.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 12:13 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tim,

They ought to work on the plain Lume-x lamphouses. The old High Recactance supplies Strong made for the Lume-x and Super Lume-x had 100 volt no load. The Switchers typically have 150 volts no load. That ought to fire just about any igniter.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 01:33 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, guys... I have found a fairly resonable source of new switcher supplies but I thought I would ask if anyone had a suggestion of a good source for used or refurbished newer-version switchers? My budget is so tight, saving some green will help give me some breathing room to get some used lenses for my 2 set-ups. Thanks, again, for all the input...verry interesting question there, Tim, as the Lumex is exactly what I plan to use! [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2004 09:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes according to Jack Schmidt at Strong there can be problems and we did have exactly the problem reliably firing lamps with the older neon boards on Super Trooper ignitors. It has something to do with the voltage going too high too fast. At times it would fire once(and not light the lamp) then not fire again... you'd have to turn off the supply and wait for the supply to recover so you could get the 150 volt start voltage again.... the whole thing acted like a one shot circuit. This got quite annoying on rental units and installing the dc ignitor board and the plexi insulator under the ignitor housing cured all that....
Yes the DC ignitor board is interchangable with the old neon version and the same HV coil and box are used.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: