Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cellular - read if you have not built your print (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cellular - read if you have not built your print
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-09-2004 05:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note to anyone who has not assembled their print of Cellular. The 3-4 minutes of the end credits are done in a very lame fashion of the actors looking at their phones as the display reads: bad directing by David R. Ellis and worst performance by an actress Kim Basinger, etc.

Because they are cutting camera angles so fast, the first few minutes of the end credits look like normal action unless you are paying extra close attention. As such, when you go to place your lights up cue at the beginning of the credits, pay extra close attention to it's placement. The proper placement is a couple hundred feet BEFORE the white text on black credit roll starts.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-09-2004 01:01 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kept the houselights down until the white-on-black credits. With a bright screen I can't imagine anyone would have safety concerns for those exiting during the those early credits. Unless the point of raising the lights is to shoo people along.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-09-2004 02:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Every theater has different policies for whatever reason. I think it is safe to say though that *most* customers will want to leave as soon as the first credit comes up and customers can trip and fall without extra lighting, so it is done for safety reasons.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-09-2004 06:08 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My feeling is that the lights should be down only if the "picture" on screen durring he credits is something that the audience will stick around and watch, like outakes or extra scenes. Fancy credits are still just credits. No one will stick around for them.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-09-2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be interesting because in all likelyhood the average theatre won't know this and make a conscious decision one way or the other but will mindlessly cue at the start of the black credits as Brad's note seeks to avoid. So after they discover this will they make the effort to move the cue (or bump the lights up by hand) or just leave it be?

Rich Granata
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2004 07:29 PM      Profile for Rich Granata   Email Rich Granata   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone else is assembling the print right now, but now I plan on fixing it tomorrow morning. Thanks Brad [thumbsup]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2004 09:42 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our automations are programmed to cue the house lights up and door holding magnets on the same cue, and with the majority of our patrons evacuating the auditorium at the moment a credit seems to be approaching their eyes, I was compelled to cue the lights at the beginning of the lame cell phone sequence.
(not counting the rest of the movie as a sequence) [Smile]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-09-2004 10:44 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah...door hold magnets. I don't know why more theatres don't use this basic idea. I have this at my screening room. Not tied to automation; just switch operated. It saves having to go release a manual prop.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-09-2004 10:51 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they were more common, I wonder how long it would take before someone launched a lawsuit after being injured by a door that suddenly started to close.

Mike Perju
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2004 12:18 AM      Profile for Mike Perju   Email Mike Perju   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, you can set the doors to close really slowly. You might want to place warning stickers on the doors themselves. After all, nobody sues for walking into a closing motorized handicaped access door.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-10-2004 12:56 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You expect 'motorized' doors to open and close by themselves. Stickers don't mean [bs] .

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-11-2004 03:59 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen two or three films recently which had some 'fancy' credits before the normal scrolling ones. I remember that one of them had some old '50s style adverts type things, was it 'Mona lisa Smile'? It was a few months ago now.

The first time I ran the film I didn't know what was coming, so I brought the lights half up when the 'fancy credits started. about a third of the audience left during this section, i.e. before the plain credits started. On the next show, I brought the lights up as the plain credits hit the screen. I don't think anybody left during the 'fancy' credits. The same thing happened in the other two screenings of that film that I ran. If people had been trying to leave during the 'fancy' credits, then I think I would have brought the lights up then, but I think the presentation looks better if they are kept down. I fring the lights up from half to full, and bring the non-sync back in, as the curtains finish closing. At some shows most of the audience are still there at that point, at others, most have left; I don't know why the difference.

It seems that the lights coming up are a stronger cue to the audience to leave than the credits appearing on screen. In my day, it was always the closing of the curtains that signalled the end of the film, but in those days of course films didn't have the ridiculous six or seven hundred feet of credits that you sometimes see now.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-11-2004 04:52 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would not be hard to set up the doors with a motion detector. When the feature cue runs through, the magnet door system gets the signal, but then checks with the motion sensor, and then waits for the first opportunity to close the door.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-11-2004 05:06 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then the doors would be unpredictable even for those that know they close by themselves. Although on a 15 or 20 second no motion delay, it'd probably work well as long as there aren't any proximity issues to deal with.

It wouldn't be hard for an usher to close them.

That said, I've always liked them (since the majority of ushers never seem to close doors on time) and wouldn't worry too much about using them in Canada since we don't sue each other as much.

I'm just worried about someone walking square into the end of the door as it starts to close when they are looking the other way, such as some people do when they're with a group.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-11-2004 05:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone using magnetic latches on the auditoriums doors SHOULD have them set to close very slowly (10+ seconds). With the doors closing that slow, anyone who has an accident from them is just looking for a lawsuit and would've found something else to sue over anyway.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: