Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CNA-100 problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CNA-100 problem
Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2004 10:44 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am having some odd behavior out of three CNA-100s. They are currently set up so that the first cue is automatic (I don't know if this is default or not), but three of them are missing all or part of the programmed setting for this cue (not switching the sound into SR, not dimming the lights, etc). We are also having issues with the EPRAD failsafes missing cues too, and are switching to Neumade tape to try to fix that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-07-2004 07:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What normally causes an Eprad C.D. to miss is too much distance between the cue detector head and the film itself. I want to say the max spec is 40 thousandths but I may be wrong. Double check with Eprad(not Strong) about that distance! I usually set them for three thicknesses of film away from the prox head and this has always worked fine for me. Sometimes the metal bracket that the whole assy. is mounted on can get bent away fomr the film.

Once the C.D.'s are working try the CNA 100's on learn mode and see if that works reliablt for you. With both cue detector problems and possible CNA-100 problems you need to sort out and fix the cue problems before you can begin to deal with the automation problem.

Mark @ CLACO

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-07-2004 11:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CNA-100s do not have a "learn" mode as does the CNA-200.

Are you sure the CNA-100s are programmed properly in the theatres that are having issues? They have been rather reliable for us. The LEDs that are flashing are where the automation will go to on the next cue. Again, I would check the programming first before deciding the automation isn't working properly.

The Xetron Acuta works best with the EPRAD cue detector, I've found.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-07-2004 12:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
I agree they are very reliable, but he did state that cues are not being read consistantly. Before he can go any further he needs to correct the cue detector defficiency. Accuta tape is good, and expensive, but just about any decent foil cue tape should be easily read by an FP-350 that has the proper clearance to th film. We have actually had great luck with using the Kelmar cue dot applicator with the FP-350's.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-07-2004 04:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I must disagree. Not just on the obvious part about the Strong automations being reliable, but on a more productive note...the Aucuta tape is the only tape that I have found truly works well with the Eprad/Strong failsafes. However it DOES wear over time! As such it must be replaced if you keep the film for very long.

That cue tape on a roll was nothing but problems for me when using that Strong automation.

(Disclaimer - by using the term "reliable" when speaking of automations, I expect then to perform perfectly 100% all the time without exception. The whole argument of an occasional missed cue being acceptable is NOT acceptable.)

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2004 04:56 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help guys..

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-07-2004 06:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, also note that EPRAD specifies the minimum cue length and the Kelmar "dot" does not qualify.

Only on some of the EPRAD cue detectors have we had problems (something like 2 over about 24 of them). AcutaII always seem to work.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-07-2004 08:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Can't remember a single failure of a Strong CNA series automation out of 40 or so I've installed but the SPA and CPA series were crap at best and failed all the time.

Steve,
Check your clearances. I have noticed that some of the prox's are not as sensitive as others for what ever reason. As long as I am at three film thicknesses they all work ok in this part of the world. We ahve had some clumsy operators bend the dam mounts somehow. Its pretty thin alumnium. The kelmar applicator does work even though its not nearly as long as what Eprad specifies. Try it for your self some time, you get at least a one second pulse out of it because the "one shot" circuit in there stretches it out a bit. We have two locations using Kelmar applicators with no complaints.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-07-2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Clearances long since checked...we've even opened up the mounting holes on the sensor mounting plate to allow near rubbing of the sensors...some units just are fussy.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-07-2004 09:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
We ahve had some clumsy operators bend the dam mounts somehow.
You can blame that on the stupid mega-short takeup elevator on the Strong platters sitting next to it. [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-07-2004 11:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Probably bad sensors then as the sensitivity is a preset function of prox sensor.

Brad,
No Strong platters around here except in a couple of older Cineplex's and one of those has DMC platters and in the two LHM Theatres locactions which have Strong DMC as well. I agree they can cause damage without proper operaation. About 85% of the platters I service are AW-3 then followed by Speco. There are more Neurotic Platters than Strong and Potts and Pans in this area. The Neurotics run and run but oh man when they have problems you don't want to be in the same county!

Mark

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-15-2016 06:44 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 4359 days since the last post.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2016 06:44 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to drag up such an old thread but Marks comment on the Neumade Neutronic Platter gave me fond memories of being a projectionist trying to get the 1/4 inch plug into the 5 tier version then fixing said 1/4 inch plugs and IR sensors as a service tech at the same location.

Man, I miss film! [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2016 06:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was lucky enoughg to be able to replace all the Neurotic platters with AW-3 right after I left CLACO, except one 5 stack in WY. And I finally dragged that one kicking and screaming to the recycler for my customer. He hated the DAM thing too.

Mark

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2016 07:12 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The unfortunate thing is that when they ran well they were quite quiet and steady. It could have been a decent design with some modifications. The rubber belts on the make up tables were terrible too. Again, apologies just feeling nostalgic.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: