Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » victoria 5

Author Topic: victoria 5
Neil Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2004 06:57 PM      Profile for Neil Robinson   Email Neil Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I have a new cinemeccanica victoria 5, the pad rollers on the upper and lower sprockets are the sprung type, if I adjust them so two film thicknesses pass through the pad rollers do not turn when the projector is running, however if I set these so the rollers do turn, lowering them further towards the sprocket the pad assembly lifts when a join passes through, this does not cause any problem but I am not sure which is the correct setting, the manuel has no mention of this question, so if anyone can help Thankyou.
Neil Robinson (UK)

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-06-2004 08:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Setting for two film thickness is correct. Think about it...if the film is wrapping the sprocket correctly, and if the pad roller is two film thicknesses away....there is no contact from the pad roller on the film and hence they will not turn under normal operation. Now if a splice were to go through, you might set them turn for a brief moment.

Steve

Paul Carey
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2004 09:53 AM      Profile for Paul Carey   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Carey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Steve says, go for the 2 film thickness. If your really not sure give Sound Associates a phone and they should put you right.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2004 07:34 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey how come Neil did'nt get busted for the lame TOPIC?

I agree with the 2 film thickness thing for lay-on rollers, it applies for ALL projoectors, right?

Anyway DO have a VIC question.

I see no reason why the turret could not be allowed to open further than the lousy amount the forged stopper allows.
If I owned the projector, I'd be grinding that stopper back or completely OFF.

Oh and also about Vics I have about 1000+ more questions, erm might leave that for another time!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-10-2004 11:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Because none of the Moderators caught it up until now. Shall we send Guido over to give him a talking to? [evil]

Please see the rules page, Neil.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-10-2004 11:32 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With regard to pad roller clearance: is the "two film thicknesses" supposed to be measured with acetate- or polyester-base stock? Or is the difference so slight that it does not matter.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-10-2004 12:57 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The base thickness of 35mm Kodak triacetate print film was nominally 0.0056 inches (about 142 micrometers). Kodak VISION Color Print Films use 0.0047 inch (about 120 micrometer) thick ESTAR base. The gelatin emulsion adds about 0.0006 inches (about 15 micrometers) to the thickness.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-10-2004 04:15 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends if you're running acetate- or polyester-base stock, Scott.

I demand you adjust your pad roller clearance between shows, when using more than one type of base. [Big Grin]

At a whole 16% increase for the thicker stock, you might as well set it there if you're going to be running acetate film. Besides, how accurately are you going to hit 135µm or 157µm with a set screw?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: