Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Losing doUser plate on SA projector... help?

Author Topic: Losing doUser plate on SA projector... help?
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-05-2004 04:32 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Kelmar douser on a SA/TA, using Strong's (heftier) douser plate.

My problem is that the connecting rod between the plate and the douser solenoid will eventually separate at the plate. There doesn't seem to be any undue stress on the parts, other than the obscenely fast movement of the Kelmar solenoid. I've adjusted the plate so there is play in both positions... it does not hit the bottom stop when closing. The best I've been able to come up with is a little locktite on the two allen setscrews. That helps a lot, but hasn't eliminated the problem. This comes up maybe 3 or 4 times a year... always at a bad time... like, when there are people in the auditorium and the plate has to be removed from the projector to run the show.

This brings Brad's solution to mind... that being the elimination of the douser altogether. Short of that though, has anyone else experienced this, and is there a sure-fire fix?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-05-2004 04:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you just HAVE to use the doUser, do what I do. Get you some files and file a flat spot on the doUser rod where the set screw needs to go. (Be sure and do this right the first time, for obvious reasons. The edge of a generic Sears file works perfectly.) Then I usually replace the screw with a slightly longer one and put a lock washer on it. That sucker will never come loose again.

This was my solution after running a screening for NATO a few years back when ON THAT ONE SHOW the doUser plate decided to slip off of the rod, having ran thousands of shows before just fine. [Mad]

Marc Hansen
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Marc Hansen   Email Marc Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may be using the wrong loctite product. It releases when heated, different formulas, different temps.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-05-2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my first theater, we had 17 Century projectors. The dowsers started breaking on them from day one. For about 1/2 a year I was fixing and re-fixing them, sometimes, daily.

I finally got peeved off, ripped out the factory dowser rod and replaced it with a piece of coat hanger wire:

Bend a full circle of sufficient diameter to go through the hole in the plate and allow free movement. I bent them using a pair of Lineman's Pliers. Wrapping the wire around the end of the jaws of the pliers usually produced a circle of sufficient size.
Cut the wire to length and bend a hook in the top end to go through the bellcrank on the changeover.
Give it a few tests before putting it in operation to be sure it won't bind or catch on anything.

Once done, you'll never have to worry about that stupid screw pulling out again!

When I moved on to be a field service tech, theaters would call me up with this same problem. They'd call up and say that there was no picture on the screen even though everything seems to be working right. I'd ask them if the projector made a funny "clank" sound when the problem started. When they answered to the affirmative, I'd walk in the door, ask for a coat hanger and a pair of pliers. The job would be done in 15 minutes. If there were no other problems, I'd be out the door in 30.

6 years later, all 17 of the ones I fixed in that first theater are still working without a hitch! [Smile]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-13-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Get you some files and file a flat spot on the doUser rod where the set screw needs to go.
Thanks for the tip, Brad... too simple... I wouldn't have thought of it!

Randy, sounds like you found your answer, too. If Brad's idea doesn't work... and I don't throw the doUsers out altogether, I'll check into the "coat hanger method"!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: