Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The ZIPPER what is it, Is it the dowser? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The ZIPPER what is it, Is it the dowser?
Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2004 01:54 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I admit that may be a teaser question, but I'm serious.

My take on the 'zipper' is that it is the aluminum plate between the aperture and shutter blade.

Ok, thats the basic bit, but there are many more, things that allow/dis-allow images on screen.

Am I correct in naming these from lamphouse to outside the port glass?

Im mainly talking about the stuff in CAPS.

1. (Mirror,bulb,heatsheild)
2. The DOWSER (the thing that totally stops light/heat to projector)
3. The SHUTTER (the thing that supplies the 24x2fps)
4. The FIRE SHUTTER (the thing that stops the light/heat if the projector stops midframe)
5. The ZIPPER (or the zippy as the girls seem to call it)
6. (The aperture, The film, the lens, the port, the idiots throwing stuff at the port, the screen)

2 to 4 are what I'm wondering about. Above is what I CALL them.

But I've heard 'techs' call zippers, 'shutters', 'dowsers'.
In fact, I hear 2-4 get completely mix up by many, many people, but in the context of the discussion, ALMOST every time it can figured what part is being refered to. (Normally the 'zipper' jamming open or shut!!)

Why do Cinemeccannica call BOTH the dowser and Zipper a 'DOWSER'?
Who do some Film-Tech'ers refer to motorise dowsers? -What are those?

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2004 02:01 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zipper is the product name given to the Simplex projector-mounted change-over. Zipper is etched on the data tag. The other style of change-over was manufactured by Weaver. Both manuals are on Film-Tech in the Manuals Forum.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2004 02:53 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Zipper" is the brand name of Essannay Electric, who was the main manufacturer of electric changeovers for several decades. Some of the units were labeled Zipper; others were OEM'd for the major projector makers and labeled as such.

Here are a few examples (on a Motiograph AAA, Simplex X-L, and Brenkert BX-60, respectively)...

-

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-05-2004 02:56 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
A "dowser" is someone who uses a divining rod to search for underground water.

A "douser" is something that stops the light.

>>> Phil

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2004 03:30 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Phil.

Sorry for the typo.

Got any info THOUGH?

All the the ITA Cinemecannicas arond hear have it spelt that way
(year I that it spet worng too)

Regards, Bill.

John,
Years, I have worked on CENTURIES forever, and seen all but the last zipper.

But my question is why do people not understand the difference between, shutter, zipper, dowser

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-05-2004 03:35 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, I meant nothing specifically to you... it was just a general comment. [Big Grin]

It's just another one on my *MANY* pet-peeves! [Smile] [thumbsup] [evil]

Jon: Thanks for those pics! I'm looking for a couple of 120vac SA-5'S if anyone has some in great condition! [Razz] [beer]

>>> Phil

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2004 03:42 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,
Im a no-body around here, you don't to to back down because I got upset.

But nice to see anyway!! [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-05-2004 03:48 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that may be true. BUT! Just cuz some dumbass mfg cannot hire some "knowledgeable" translators doesn't make it "right".

We here in the US speak English for the most part... followed by Spanish and Ebonics... [Wink] [Razz] [Big Grin] [evil]

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-05-2004 04:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm looking for a couple of 120vac SA-5'S if anyone has some in great condition!
Phil are you nuts? Those 3 changeovers pictured above have a slow and sluggish changeover mechanism which makes for sloppy looking changeovers. Get a Kelmar!

If you really want the name on there, ship them to me and I'll write "Simplex" on the Kelmar units for you with a marker. [Roll Eyes]

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2004 04:22 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I got carried away with the "what is a Zipper" part of the thread. The "Zipper" term for electric changeover assemblies became quasi-generic in the same way "Xerox" became synonymous for photcopiers, "Kleenex" stood for tissues in general, and the British got the habit of calling any vacuum cleaner a "Hoover" and vacuuming, "Hoovering," much to the hidden delight and outward consternation of the trademark owners.

Anyway, I took another look at my X-L. From the lamphouse douser to the aperture, the layout is changeover douser -> shutter -> fire shutter. E-7s and Centuries, OTOH, are shutter -> changeover douser -> fire shutter. The arrangement seems to be largely determined by the shutter configuration.

Brad--you're right...slow, sluggish, and NOISY (on the X-L, anyway)! Bzzz-CLANK! [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-05-2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Those 3 changeovers pictured above have a slow and sluggish changeover mechanism...
Brad, I'm old and sluggish myself... what's your point?

I have a couple of the Kelmars... but I like the "old" stuff for nostalgic reasons.

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-05-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
I like the "old" stuff for nostalgic reasons.
Ummm, when did this age preference of yours change? [Wink] [Razz] [evil] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [sex] [sex] [sex]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-05-2004 04:45 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh My! YOU ***WILL*** PAY for THAT comment! HA!

I was talking 'bout "PROJECTION" equipment! NOT "other" Ummm stuff!! [Razz]

Although, interestingly enuff... I AM looking for a Simplex PR-1014 "born" in 1986... Hubba Hubba!

>>> Phil

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-05-2004 06:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil if you want older get the original changeover that Kelmar copied it was I believe called a Thide electric changeover

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2004 06:34 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that, at least on Cinemeccanicas, the dowaser is that thing that, when the projector stops or is stopped, fall down with its own weight and, when the projector starts, is lift up by a solenoid.

A zipper instead, is a faster device that can guarantee a better changeover, has a solenoid for open it and a solenoid to close it, very fast.

I've heard that, I'm not sure.

Bye
A

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: