Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Stupid "features" of cinema equipment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Stupid "features" of cinema equipment
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-04-2004 07:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's start a list of stupid "features" found on various pieces of booth equipment. By "feature", I mean a design flaw, or an intentionally stupid design, whichever you prefer to call it.

Let's make this clear. You must mention a specific manufacturer and model of equipment. You may not make blanket statements such as "brain wraps from platters", since that is an operator error on "platters" as a whole. Now if you wanted to say "X brand of platters like to sling prints like frisbees", that is fine.

One "feature" per post. Be sure and explain WHY. Posts without an explanation will be deleted.

----------------------------------------------------------------

CIR splicer with the stupid "spring loaded feature" of the cutter blade.

Why would anyone want this? Granted the cutter blade isn't as sharp as a kitchen knife, but do you routinely keep your knives stored sharp end up? Plus if the splicer gets dropped, the cutter blade is shot. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-04-2004 07:51 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ORC makeup table has two spindles -- one side for buildup and the other for teardown.

There is no backtension on the "buildup" side and no way to change directions on-the-fly.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 08:37 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemeccanica's Vector 1000 automation system: when you open the windows to select the appropriate program for the screen, the cursor starts always from the first program and not from the last one. If you have to create multiple shows for the day you have always to scroll the list to find the correct program. And the entire software is sooooooooooo slow!!!

Bye
A

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 08:43 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How 'bout the older Xetron consoles with the lamp cooling blowers wired to the LAMP switch and automation control circuit; the power supply contactor turned on and off by an airflow vane switch?

That design never gave the lamp the proper fan-forced cooldown. Worse, I shudder to think about the ensuing catastrophe should the vane switch stick in the "on" postion after automation shuts the "lamp" off and nobody is nearby to kill the power to the console? [Eek!]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-05-2004 12:05 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CFS consoles, take your pick, that have the lamphouse blower fan mounted in upside down so as to make it impossible to add any oil into the lubrication holes. I have lost count on how many of these I have replaced over the years.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2004 03:50 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong X90 has the blower motor mounted that way too. As part of install I strip the blower and turn the motor round.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-05-2004 04:24 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CFS consoles have been mentioned by Darryl, but they really are a bad idea in many more respects. I also hate the power supply compartment design. There is very little room to work in there, and the ventilation concept is lacking too - but more than half of the console is actually empty in the back. I have more points, but Brad said only one per post...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-05-2004 07:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy don't get me started on how bad CFS consoles are.... lets just all agree that CFS itself was a bad idea. I've got to wonder if LIT isn't just following on the heels of CFS.... anyone know?

Mark @ CLACO

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-05-2004 11:00 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Auto/Manual switch on the back of Strong lamphouses. The only possible benefit of this would be if the automation latched and held the lamphouse on, and you couldn't make it release... but how many times has that ever happened?! Otherwise, why not just parallel automation connections to the stinkin' ON/OFF switch and be done with it?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-05-2004 01:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The single switch on the Kinoton FP-30 to operate both the motor and the lamp is pretty dumb, as it makes it impossible to motor the film through the machine without also shortening the useful life of the lamp. This especially bad for changeover installations, where the lamp will be struck for 20 minutes at a time and then killed.

(Insert Steve Guttag's comment here about how the machine doesn't need to be installed this way. Fine, but the product shouldn't do this sort of thing in the "standard" installation.)

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-05-2004 03:16 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>> There is an on/off switch on the lamphouse. If you don't want the lamp to come on with the motor, simply flip that to off. On any machine, you have 2 separate switches for motor and lamp/lamphouse, the only difference is that the default setup on the Kinoton is different, but it does the same. The switch is on the back of the lamphouse next to the amp meter.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-05-2004 03:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Kinoton "standard" setup, there should be a MOTOR button and a RUN button as "factory standard". In this instance, the MOTOR button would not fire the lamp for cueing purposes.

Strong/Potts platters have that stupid "feature" of not having enough elevator travel distance on takeup. I see more rollers bent out of position in Strong platter booths than with any other make of platter.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-05-2004 06:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the need to point out misinformation here...

On Kionton...the motor/lamp thing is strictly an installation issue...the lamphouse stands on its own and has its own terminal block inside...if you don't want to wire it the factory suggested way, you don't have to. The Factory gives you the cable, use it or don't...I guess it is easier to use it for some...I don't

The main switch next to the ammeter is NOT the same thing Michael as a traditional on/off switch on the lamphouse. Turning that switch off also kills the blower(s)...note the Kinton America mod eliminates that oversite so I would call that switch the "feature" being consistant with this thread.

As to Aaron's commment on Strong lamphouses...many a time in a multiplex I've been requested to start a show with the lamp off to run the film and to only strike the lamp if someone shows in the first 20-minutes...the On/Off Auto/Manual switch combination allows the operator to set the lamphouse exactly how they need it to be regardless of automated or manual show. For Kinoton lamphouses, we often install an three position toggle swtich to replicate the great feature of Strong's lamphouse of On/Off/Auto. Just because it doesn't apply to your installations, doesn't mean it doesn't apply to others.

As to Brad's comments on the motor/run buttons. All but the high-end projectors have the POS button to motor down the film (at a slower speed) without striking the lamp or triggering Dolby Digital to perform a sound changeover. With the E-S versions of the machines, the POS button gives way to the REV button. I 100% agree with Brad that this should be available on ALL versions of the projectors. At ShowEast, we will have a device that will restore this valuable function to E-S versions of the Kinoton projector as well (just finished the PCB layout last night).

If you wanna really pick on Kinoton for something...how about...why does the audio LEDs come on with the changeover douser? This is a carry over from the exciter lamp days (remember them?). If you go with the factory way...you will guarantee a "THUMP" as the LED comes on with the sound and also guarantee that there will be a Dolby Digital drop out on each changeover since the buffer for the incoming soundtrack will not be ready. Now that is a dumb "feature" I would like to see fixed (let this be my single contribution to this thread...the other comments were refuting other peoples complaints).

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-05-2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, the fact that it was
quote: Steve Guttag
the factory suggested way
means it is a "feature". Almost anything can be wired around to eliminate the manufacturer's "feature", such as the sound leds turning on with the changeover...but even that is still a manufacturer "feature", until corrected by a tech.

BTW on the POS speed, that still is terrible for when you need to motor down 30-40 feet of leader!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-05-2004 07:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

The difference between the LEDs and how the lamphouse is wired is that the lamphouse is a self inflicted injury...the installer has to make those connections. The LEDs come prewired and one must make a modiification to undo the factory silliness (which can be difficult on multiformat machines like the FP38E and the FP75E

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: