Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cir film splicers

Author Topic: cir film splicers
Neil Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 03:22 PM      Profile for Neil Robinson   Email Neil Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can anyone advise me on which is the better of the two versions of cir splicer mk3 special model, at present I have the type with the side cutter that does not return, however this requires replacing and I thought about fitting the sprung type that returns to the upward position every time you cut the film, if anyone has this version cutter possibly you could let me know how it compares to the stationary version. thankyou
Neil Robinson, UK.

|  IP: Logged

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 05:37 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Neil
I have both types of splicer in use in my cinemas, I prefer the sprung lever type than the non sprung.
No difference in the cut etc, but the only draw back is if you drop the splicer by accident with a sprung lever, it is bound to get bent! trust me it happens!
With the non sprung one it can be left in the cloased poosition and it normally wont get bent if dropped.

Darren

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2004 01:04 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neil,

Just put in a new blade on don't worry about the springy thing, it will just annoy you. (They annoy me)

I honestly see no point in it.
They also have a version where, the knife is spring loaded to aim is 'slightly' away fron the cutting block, you have to flex the knife IN to make a clean cut. (What are they thinking?)

Extra note because Im 'over-tired'
If I had to drive with my car door open while travelling between cinemas, I'm asking for damage.
Same with blade open, when Im travelling with the splicer, ad/trl pack between projection rooms, I think its best to have the knife closed. Navigating some of those customers in the foyer can be almost as bad the fools on the roads. (Though have not seen too many with the doors open!)

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-06-2004 07:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could try asking for the cheap company you work for to pay for a splicer for every booth.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2004 01:33 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nasty, John, Nasty!!

That's not fair. I know who you are talking about, but at least they TRY to fix stuff when they can afford it.
Your old place is doing it tuff too at the moment, business is down across the board.

I'll see if I can get some company I work for to get one of those Newmade things, they talk about here. All I've ever used is those damned CIR things.

Have not seen you on here for ages, what made you suddenly pop your head up, or have I been reading the wrong threads? Same goes for Michael, he's not around much anymore.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2004 04:49 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find those damned spring loaded blades flimsy and virtually useless. The other ones will cut better over the long run. My vote is to ditch the springy one.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-08-2004 07:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill

nasty yes, just couldn't resist.

Doing it tough? Didn't you run Shrek 2? Perhaps he couldn't fit it in, eh? Like those little Star Wars re-issues a few years back.

I've been around...even tried to email you once or twice. Is your email on here current?

Talk to you soon.

John

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2004 08:06 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We'll he ran Shrek2, it finished just last weekend almost all over the place, and yes it was a welcomed money spinner for everyone, but since then (like the last few weeks) I've noitced business sucks, and one place I work at has the biggest taking's in NSW, only second in Australia to that 30 screen Mandarin (or whatever it's called) in SA.

Funny you should mention his choice of programming, He did'nt want Spiderman 1 to start with, until it opened MASSIVE in the USA. Thought that was funny, because was lucky to get a print and last minute.

But things might be looking, The Terminal had a good opening Thurs morning, but I noticed it slowed during the afternoon, don't know about the night or how the weekend will go.
I noticed he has that playing there, so I'll see how it went Sunday.

Anyway, but the TOPIC or I'll get busted.

WHY is the only splicer I've ever seen in this country are those CIR things?

We got two new ones a few weeks ago(complete with 'gold' plated springs -WhoaHo) and just today making-up 'Down On The Ranch' the blades are starting to do crap cuts.

BTW: The print came with a note saying BVI will start with it's cyan only print Sep 24th, can't remember the name of the film, the in Dec all thier prints will be cyan only.

BTW2: Email should be fine, I'll email you so you have a return address. Did you get a failure notice or was it because I never replied? I might have missed it when piising off the spam.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: