Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vanity Fair DTS Problem

Author Topic: Vanity Fair DTS Problem
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 07:51 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor fax'd out this memo yesterday stating that there was a "DTS problem with the reel #6" in Vanity Fair, and that today we'd be receiving a UPS shipper to send the discs back, and to play the feature only in SRD or analog. Now, today I got another fax from Focus stating that the "DTS problem" was that the timecode on R6 was out of sync, and we should prescreen the feature [Roll Eyes] in DTS to see if our print had the sync problem. They stated that we could call to order a replacement reel, if needed.
But today, anyway, DHL delivers the UPS shipper to return the discs!
Does Focus Features have two people solving this dilema? I have never seen this much contradiction in communications and shipping companies!

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 09:07 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the faxed memo clearly stated that replacement discs would not be issued and that the print should play in analog or SRD for the rest of its run.

We're playing it in SRD anyway so it really doesn't matter to us.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 09:10 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
same here, SRD as well....could they really send replacement disks if the timecode was off in say a little piece (2-3 minutes) of the film? Wouldn't it be a big pain to fix that?

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 10:21 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried playing it in Dolby Digital, but that is also pretty messed up. Have to play it in analog.

I'm sure the movie studios are not happy when things like this happen to their new releases.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 10:45 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are having no problems in Dolby Digital. The only thing I've heard of is a slight buzz here and there, but that's it.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-02-2004 11:50 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our print had bad dolby digital and analog tracks on reel 1. But our reel 6 tracked perfectly in DTS as sent. No Sync problems at all.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 09:43 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dean, Focus stated that the problem was with the timecode on R6, not the discs; when Fox sent out replacement discs for Shallow Hal it had only slightly improved sync over the original set for us.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: