Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What's the most effective way to clean an SDDS reader? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's the most effective way to clean an SDDS reader?
Matt Kleiber
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 08:11 PM      Profile for Matt Kleiber   Email Matt Kleiber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater uses SDDS on 16 of its 18 screens (the other two switched over to Dolby a few months ago). Like any theater with SDDS we have ongoing problems with the sound dropping in and out of SDDS to analog, especially on older prints. Can anyone provide any suggestions regarding the best way to clean the readers? Or am I better off trying to get them replaced?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-2004 08:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
2000 series units or 3000 series SDDS units. Do you use FilmGuard to keep the tracks from wearing? What make of projectors are you running?

Matt Kleiber
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 08:24 PM      Profile for Matt Kleiber   Email Matt Kleiber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ack, sorry, I suppose I should have mentioned this earlier:

DFP-3000 SDDS processor units
We don't use Filmguard frequently, mostly on older prints
Simplex S2

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-2004 10:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there is such a thing as an S2 Simplex. Check that model number.

You should run brand new prints through the cleaner when you first get them, and not once they start appearing to need it. Once you let the digital track get scuffed, it's all over. Prevention is the solution.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 01:24 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cotton swab and isopropyl alchohol?
We clean our rollers and optical surfaces once a week with the above method, rest of the time it's either a rag on the rollers or canned air. We don't generally have much problem in our SDDS house due to the way it's positioned. That booth has the lowest dust problem of any of our houses.

Matt Kleiber
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 02:11 PM      Profile for Matt Kleiber   Email Matt Kleiber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: It's actually Simplex M2...I think I need to take a nap now.
Dominic: Thanks for the tip

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 07:40 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be thankful you don't have to clean 2000 series readers. You'd need a coma after that with 16 machines!

Matt Kleiber
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 10:00 PM      Profile for Matt Kleiber   Email Matt Kleiber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all relative. I've never been in the booth at Lakeville, but if you've ever seen the some of the equipment they use at Centennial Lakes (in Edina), my guess is that you would be thankful for what you have.

General Cinema made some very questionable decisions when they had their building binge last decade.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 09:50 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt, we only had one SDDS 2k unit, and the CCD lenses got clogged with dust and eventually went bad for other technical reasons, too. We got a new DTS 6D unit to replace it. Centennial Lakes was built right after the Burnhaven 8 in Burnsville. Burnhaven had DTS and SRD in 4 houses and analog in the other 4, so says a manager I know who used to work there. Mall of America came after Centennial for GCC, which had mostly SRD and DTS, and half Dolby and half Kintek for analog. So, Centennial Lakes' SDDS systems were either a big test for SDDS in their Twin Cities market, or an addition by AMC after the buyout. At least you got the simplified readers.

Matthew Jaro
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 03:52 PM      Profile for Matthew Jaro   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Jaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to clean an SDDS reader is to throw it out.

It's really great to place a soundtrack on the one place that the projectors handle the film (the edges). Also, that's the one place where film gets crimped. Another great idea whose time has gone.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 04:03 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In defense of SDDS that's all that was left to them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-03-2004 06:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The best way to clean an SDDS reader is to throw it out. "

I disagree because we are selling so many 2000 reader sprockets that I may be able to officially retire before SDDS disappears.

Mark

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 10:00 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I they would let me I would change out the otehr 29 houses with those sprockets, but we will jsut have to wait until they go bad to upgrade.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-03-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If people threaded them my way those sprockets wouldn't be wearing out and the tracking would be better. [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2004 07:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the 2000 it doesn't matter how you thread em.... the sprockets still wear out as they are just bare alumnium(stupid Sony!), nor is there much that you can do to improve what you call tracking which is somewhat of a false saying. Sony could have utilized a bit lighter spring in the tight loop but beyond that there is little one can do to make things any more readable. One of the main problems is the lack of contrast in the scanner to allow better defined data. This is partially caused by the fact that Sony used the wrong color temp LEDs(Stupid Sony!) in the first place for reading the cyan track! I've converted a few 2000 readers lately to use the Dolby RED LED and even with the contrast improvement(seen as more "hair" on the video waveform) afforded by that conversion things are still somewhat marginal but I see less drop outs of the track LED's. Filmguard does help extend the lifespan of a print somewhat but prints will still eventually become unruinnable and its due to the small bit size on the film and that its in the high wear area of the print.

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: