Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ORC M1000 Lamphouse: Trying to find the cause of sudden failure (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ORC M1000 Lamphouse: Trying to find the cause of sudden failure
Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 08:01 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After 4 years of problem free use, my ORC M1000 failed suddenly. When I turned on the unit I heard an electrical sizzle and flash from inside the lamphouse. This was very abnormal. The bulb did not ignite. I turned the unit off. When I reset the circuit breaker and tried again, the button popped out after about 2 seconds and I heard a hum, but that was it. I didn't hear any "tap" that would indicate the bulb was being struck. Today, I removed the top cover and looked around. I didn't see any scorch marks on anything, including the circuit boards. The wire on the front anode is not touching the mirror. It's about an inch away from it at its closest, exposed point. The shielded part is about a 1/4 inch from the mirror.

I am really scratching my head at what the problem is. A friend mentioned it might be the igniter board. A different member here mentioned in another forum that the diodes may be at fault. Thoughts? I have read quite a few posts here about the ORC M-1000 and the diodes are often mentioned as the cause of failure. I appreciate any and all input. Bear in mind I have zero background in electrician type knowledge, so I am at a bit of a disadvantage.

I appreciate any input...

|  IP: Logged

Michael Labbe
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 08:39 PM      Profile for Michael Labbe   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Labbe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked on one of those a few years ago, and it took a long time to find the culprit. Mine was reacting the same way you mentioned. As soon as I would raise the circuit breaker you would hear a loud hum and a few seconds later the breaker would snap off. I looked at the SCR and control boards but they were operating normally. The problem ended up being the diodes. Not so much the diode itself but the way it is mounted in the lamphouse. The base of the diode screws into a bracket that is insulated from the transformer case. On the diode there is a small plastic sleve and a mica washer that help keep the diode in the correct position so shorting doesn't happen. In my case the small plastic sleve around the threads of the diode and the mica washer had broken down allowing the diode to arc to ground. After repairs the unit is once again running great. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-01-2004 08:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be as simple as the positive lead touching one of the front dowser blades, or you may have a shorted diode. Quite frankly the loud hum is a dead givaway that one is shorted. They are unfortunately at the bottom of the unit in the back...under the main transformer. This requires tearing down the unit. This is easy for those that have done it and can be done in about 10 min. However if you have not done it before you're better off leaving it to someone that has some experience with them. Of cource there could be another problem but as fast as the breaker pops it sounds like a shorted diode. TIP! For greater reliability replace them all with 85 amp stud mount(glass passavated type if possible) and while you're at it also replace the blocking diode as it to will eventually fail from heat stress. Generally when I go through one I replace the electrolytics, the caps on both circuit boards and the main and blocking diodes. A total rebuild is not much in parts cost, less than 100.00 and a couple of hours of an experienced techs time.

Mark @ CLACO

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 12:46 AM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

I removed the rear plate/cover (not completely because there's a lot of wires hooked up back there) and I think I found that bracket and the diodes. I am a little concerned about electrocuting myself with any residual charge so I didn't touch the components. But I think I found the diodes on top of the transformer. I'm glad it is a problem that can be fixed. I guess you sent it out to a pro for repair? I really like this lamphouse and other than this one problem it has worked great.

Hi Mark,

From the way you describe it, it sounds so simple but I have no experience in this area. As you say, I would prefer to use the higher quality and more robust parts. Maybe there is a tech in the tri-state area who could handle this repair? Of course I would be glad to pay for the service. Maybe there is a business in the NY/NJ/CT area that handles this kind of thing?

Thanks for your help!

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 06:26 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Larry

I would check the blocking diode on the r/h side of the panel

between the front and rear section, they often short out to the body under the diode itself. [eyes]

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 09:55 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stan,

Thanks for the tip. I was contacted by a kind member who may explain how I can check the diodes on my own. [thumbsup]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-04-2004 05:20 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who "may" explain? That sounds like it is a great mystery that the unnamed member is about to divulge...Just get a multimeter with a basic diode checking function, or measure the resistance in both directions, that's it.

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 06:47 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some that are brilliant in their own fields, and are not afraid to ask for advise in things that they are not sure of.

There are others that have nothing usefull to say, except to ridicule those who seek information for themselves that may also assist others.

Then there are those that post any [bs] to boost thier post rateing. [thumbsdown]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2004 07:12 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Then there are those that post any [bs] to boost thier post rateing [thumbsdown] ."

You mean lIke the two posts directly above this one....... [Roll Eyes]

Larry,
Would you please post what you learn about teoubleshooting the 1000 after you get your first big jolt from it. There are many other techers that also own them and they are dying to get their first big jolt from their 1000's too. I'm sure that everyone else here is also dying to know.
Thanks!

Mark

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 07:26 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

YES

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-04-2004 10:12 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I don't understand the point of your comment. Are you saying he should not be told how to check diodes?

This forum is about the free exchange of information. Always give the facts straight, and, if you are unsure of a person's experience level, explain what the risks of injury to self or the equipment might be. I don't want to see this turn into, say, alt.hvac, where if they don't think you are one of them any query is answered by Call your local technician.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2004 11:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Geez, loosen up a bit... Its good for you... You take things TOO seriously! The guy above you seemed to get the point.... [thumbsup] . Aside from exchanging info this site is also good for telling someone to loosen up a bit. And that "kicks ass". Quote stolen directly from Joe!

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-04-2004 03:11 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
::makes note to eat more roughage:: [Eek!]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-04-2004 04:23 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stan Gunn
There are some that are brilliant in their own fields, and are not afraid to ask for advise in things that they are not sure of.

There are others that have nothing usefull to say, except to ridicule those who seek information for themselves that may also assist others.

Then there are those that post any to boost thier post rateing.

Why are you getting so aggressive? I told the gentleman from NY what the easiest and quickest way to solve his problem is. If he buys a multimeter - which is not expensive and which he can use in many other situations - with a diode testing function, then he can quickly check the diodes, there is no big mystery about that.
The meter will have a booklet which explains the diode checking function.
There are other ways of hunting down the bad diode, like checking the temperature or using an ampere clamp, but as a first step, the multimeter way is easiest and cheapest.

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 04:39 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put on some rubber gloves and grabbed my neighbor's cat. I placed it against the things marked "capacitors". The cat stiffened up for a few seconds and now it seems like it's passed out. Is it safe for me to touch the inside now?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: