Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dating a Simplex (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dating a Simplex
Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 01:34 AM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any website or chart that anyone has where one can date the year of manufacture of Simplex projectors based on serial numbers? I'm trying to date a Super Simplex serial number 43546. The patent plate contains the date "December 1, 1934" but I do not know how the actual manufacture date corresponds with this. I don't think it's quite that old.
thanks,
Ed

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 03:58 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sure, it's a lonely job, but... wait, that's not what you meant. can't help you.

carl

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-01-2004 07:02 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dated a Christie once....

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 09-01-2004 07:07 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it a Large Format Christie??

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-01-2004 07:18 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was too much dating that got a person simplex, herpes simplex, that is. [Mad]

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 07:42 AM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dated a Simplex once with dismal results. Now CENTURYS !...TOTAL SLUTS!!! Supers were introduced in 1928 & stayed in the line till the introduction of the Mighty XL in 1949 I believe. Dick Prather, Where are you when We need you! [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-01-2004 07:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would never consider dating a Simplex, they're way too messy!

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-01-2004 08:42 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes but there always gushing lubrication if you treat them right [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-01-2004 09:05 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I got married, I had some intermittent relationships. I shutter to think about them now, but I was gearing-up for a long term committment. It was all a matter of the correct timing. [Big Grin]

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 10:40 AM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well put, John. And Richard is right about the "gushing lubrication" (as I seem to find a new little puddle of oil on the floor every day). Still wouldn't mind knowing how old these beauties are though, if anyone keeps such data. Cheers.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 10:55 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and I've spend many a delightful evening with a handful of Victorias, but they were 5 and 8 - I'll say no more !

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-01-2004 11:34 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple threads about finding the manufacture date of Simplexes:

Here is one...

John Eickhof was the guru of matching manufacturing dates to the serial numbers of vintage Simplex projectors and soundheads.

-Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-01-2004 12:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
peter said "and I've spend many a delightful evening with a handful of Victorias, but they were 5 and 8 - I'll say no more !"
Some of my victoria dates have been 10's [Big Grin]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 12:41 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supers were introduced in 1928 & stayed in the line till the introduction of the Mighty XL in 1949

How quick people forget the other sister, the Simplex E7. Oh, she had such tight loops...

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-01-2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you are tired of American projectors and have a yen for something exiting and exotic, nothing beats the Asian line, Tokiwa and Shanghai Paradise come immediately to mind.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: