Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A Note From Brad Miller (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A Note From Brad Miller
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-30-2004 12:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my TES film cans! Holy cow! "The Importance of Smooth Winding During Breakdown."

I hope there will also be one about the importance of resplicing leaders.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-30-2004 01:38 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you post the recommendations?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-30-2004 02:26 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easier for Brad to paste over; it's a full page of text and a couple of photos. In a nutshell, avoid anything that might produce offset turns on the reel; if you have to stop mid reel, back off a few turns before resuming.

Brad can be the new Betty Crocker or Ed Rymers. Is he real or is he just an invented character?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-30-2004 02:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That was fast. I only gave that to TES a few days ago. I have the file on another computer. I'll post a pdf later.

As anyone who has ever been in a film shipping depot, uneven winding is a real problem and causes an amazing amount of film damage during shipping. Maybe the explanation and pictures will help, maybe not. Technicolor has been working overtime lately in training with their staff and the hope is that by placing short informational papers in the shipping cans that projectionists without proper training will be able to better their film handling skills, which benefits everyone.

Technicolor is also setting up an email account for direct feedback from projectionists. This way when something is wrong with the shipment (broken reel / missing or broken dts discs / unsecured leaders / etc) they hope to get feedback from the projectionists so they can track down the particular staff members who are letting these sort of things happen. As soon as I can confirm it, I will post it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-30-2004 03:32 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always good to open up additional lines of communication between the people most affected when there is a problem or question. [thumbsup]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-30-2004 07:30 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link to F-T is included at the bottom so maybe we'll see lots of newcomers and Film Done Right will spread across the land.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-30-2004 07:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that the link on the sheet included in the cans can't be clicked on, and it requires people to type it into their browsers with their own fingers letter by letter... hyphen and all. Hopefully this won't be asking too much of people, but it'll help weed out the morons. Key word being "help". [Smile]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2004 09:44 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, maybe Brad can revive the cue cat scanner dealy. I would never type in a URL.

Rich Granata
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2004 10:50 PM      Profile for Rich Granata   Email Rich Granata   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the address of F-T on the sheet that came with the Film Guard bottles. Ever since, I have been reading my ass off trying to catch up on the years of experience and wealth of information here.

So...i guess people do type in addresses [/OT]

That is a great idea. Honestly, "i believe" a big reason that there is film done wrong is that many believe that no one cares and no one is affected.

Messages in the can like this should promote good film.
It says: "yeah just because you didn't get a phone call/email about the crappy print you sent back, doesn't mean its not a pain in someone else's ass."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-31-2004 11:46 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right. I think one of the biggest problems has been that multiplex operators think THEY will be the only one to ever use that particular print. In reality, with today's nationwide distribution, a print may be in three or four theatres before it even leaves first-run status, and a couple of other small sub-runs before it hits the shredder.

I think Film-Tech site has helped to spread the word that film should be preserved for the users down the road. Now, the biggest problem is that not enough "projectionists" are reading Film-Tech!

Vernon Cramer
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 07:37 PM      Profile for Vernon Cramer   Email Vernon Cramer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found a copy of Brad's sheet in our TES shipment today of Fahrenheit 9/11 PLUS an empty film can to fill an empty space in a shipping can AND no broken reels! A very pleasant surprise. Now if ETS would just do the same...

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 07:41 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, you could OCR the document...

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 09-03-2004 08:05 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was expecting to find a letter in my TES cans this week, but nothing. I guess its just random cans that get the notes.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very pleased with this and hope they keep it up, maybe even a biquarterly change of what the message is? Or would it leave the weak minded too quickly for them to assimilate it into habbit?

Though, doesn't the angle of the MUT on breakdown (with Christies at least) make a difference in the way it takesup to the reel?
I've noticed I achieve smoother, more accurate results with the MUTs lower roller dead on with the end of the platters foot and then moving it a couple inches further down towards the tree about every 3 reels or so. It seems to get rid of most of the uneven winding problems of slowing/stopping durring breakdown.

Just my $0.02. Word up, Brad. I like the idea.

Tony Hall
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 01:01 PM      Profile for Tony Hall   Email Tony Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Idea, and Good Note came with both of my TES prints [thumbsup] But i could not tell what the picture was of, I guess it was a copy of a copy of a copy. [Shrug]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: