Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Zenith X3000H troubles

Author Topic: Zenith X3000H troubles
Felipe Leoni
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2004 01:45 PM      Profile for Felipe Leoni   Author's Homepage   Email Felipe Leoni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

I´m restoring some Vic5 projectors with Zenith x3000H lamphouses, and I have a lot of problems to cool it. The blowers have monophase motors, but I found it conected to a 3phase net. Results: The motor run lower and burn after a week. I solved it finding a 110V net in room and powering motors trough a 110/220V transformer. Now the blower runs good and the motor temp stay better. But one of these machines still hot, very hot. Results: the mirror burn in about 2 weeks and elco capacitors flow out. I changed xenon and checked DC power supply for ripple, nothing wrong. One more point to be checked is the mirror. New mirrors arrived this week, but the chrome is "white" a lot. I´ve looked other mirrors and they have a "yellow" chrome. Does the white chrome reflecting more heat to other lamphouse parts? Have any other pont to check the reason for this burning lamphouse??? Mechanical aligment between xenon/mirror changes work temp??

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-29-2004 02:13 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The X3000H lamphouse was designed in the early 1970's and the general reflector is "white" hot mirror type coating. this lamphouse should have a set of XH-1182 heat filters in the lamphouse nose cone to redirect the light IR heat from the reflector from passing on to the projector gate. I am personally not sure if there is a "gold" cold coated reflector since deep ellipse reflectors are very hard to "cold coat" evenly. A problem with the reflector blower assembly is that it is mounted on rubber grommets that must be in good condition and the blower intake must be sealed to the outside. I have seen these not sealed properly due to age and they will suck some of their air from the inside of the lamphouse in addition of the outside air and the lamphouse will overheat. The exhaust location on the top of the lamphouse is poor, so a good exhaust is neccessary. On some xenon bulbs they also recommend a front attachment to cool the front of the bulb in addition to the air tube.
The Cinemeccanica is usually sold with an IREM rectifier which supplies 2 pole power needs for such items as the blowers.

Felipe Leoni
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2004 02:55 PM      Profile for Felipe Leoni   Author's Homepage   Email Felipe Leoni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this lamphouse, someone have mounted another fan over the air out. i´m not sure if this is good, because this fan runs faster then blower. So, we have more air going out that the blower can provide. This lamphouse also have a hose and glass tube directioning air to bulb front. The heat filters are in strange condition. May I have to change the heat filter after X hours of use? I´ve sealed the blower air entrance changing the rubber ring and the things are a little better.I´m thinking to invert the top cover for air out redirection. Is it a good idea?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-29-2004 04:01 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dichoric heat filters as they age and depending on use will eventually have coating failure which will show as discoloration or clear glass on the filter. the coating is toward the reflector. The exhaust hole is not in an ideal position due to the heat traps ( XH-1041 / XH-1043 ) on the top and bottom of the lamphouse to receive the IR heat waves reflected by the heat filters. The reflector blower is under high static pressure due to the rear chamber and PVC plastic air tube so installing too large an exhaust blower can create heat problems due an inbalance of air in and out. This can be balanced out by adding some minor air vent holes in the base of the lamphouse. We have had problems with this lamphouse on these same issues which never happened in the console version since the console had more ample dimensions and air flow from the bottom floor that the optical bench ( lamphouse ) parts where mounted.

Felipe Leoni
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2004 10:05 PM      Profile for Felipe Leoni   Author's Homepage   Email Felipe Leoni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked out the heat filters and they have a red color. It´s not a transparent glass. I also cleaned the IR filters located on bottom and top of the box, but the temp is still hot. So, I removed the extra-fan and now the things are better. The lamphouse is still hot, but now it occours a lot of time later.

Thanks for helping.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: