Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Xenon bulb failure question:

Author Topic: New Xenon bulb failure question:
Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 03:22 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I had a sort of scary moment when I attempted to change the 4k Xenon bulb in one of our Strong Highlight II consoles. I've done this before several times, but this was a new bulb from a batch I recently ordered. Two nights ago I replaced a 4k with my last spare from an older batch and it worked fine. As usual, I ran the motor and used the manual switch to strike the bulb and check for focus. What I saw was an initial strike followed by intense flickering. I looked through the peep-hole and saw the entire envelope was now completely fogged over with a faint flickering arc flash. I shut it down immediately and removed the bulb (after waiting several minutes). The spherical glass was "milky" white to where you cannot even see the anode and cathode.

So I put the old bulb back in and it works fine. I'd like to know if prehaps I did something wrong or maybe the new bulb was defective?

It's a 4k OSRAM XBO HS OFR 135 rated current.
Thanks for any help you could give.

|  IP: Logged

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 03:35 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds as though you have a leaker where the end seal(s) have given out and allowed the gas to escape. Take a look at the Tips section . Top of the list is a very useful guide to Xenon failures.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 03:56 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I've already read that before a couple of times. I was just wondering if it was anything I did wrong myself. I'm always very careful doing that job (because it scares the crap out of me every time), but you never know when it might be user-error.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 04:05 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you have done something radically different to previous lamp changes and you have somehow manged to put excessive lateral pressure on the lamp this time it's likely to be a manufacture problem. Send it back to Osram to check it out.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 12:50 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call the manufacturer (or if you work for a chain, call the appropriate person in the home office), that bulb will be under warranty. Dick's assesment is probably right, leaky seal.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: