Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DA-20 How to set the A-Chain (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DA-20 How to set the A-Chain
Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2004 03:49 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this a lame question, the topic and subject matter will proberly need editing.

But at this point in time Im not in a postion to read a manual or do a FT search (which I DID try last night) and Im tired as hell. (its 7am, and I just finished a double, thank god I have today off, plus watching the Olymics, most good stuff is not here till 4.30am. Then there has been this crap on the radio all night about a UFO travelling over most of this state - No doubt just a high up comet)

Oh the DA-20 and my A-chain question.

Is there a way of working out how to set the 'levels' without an osiloscope? Is there any levels to adjust? Can I do it with a DMM?

If I lace through the cat 700 reader, I get the F.
If I bypass the reader I get '-' , so the DA-20 must be seeing something.
If I turn the reader off I get the '-'

So Im GUESSING the thing is working but just not getting a strong enough (video) signal somewhere on the chain.

The 'tech's' decided it was 'just' the power supply, which I agreed with, because when turning it on, all the LED's, and mean all of them, just flashed on and off like a light show. With the new power supply everything looked OK, but the thing still doesnt work, as described above.

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2004 05:18 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you replce the bulb, and if no messed with the aligment can turn up the voltage by the control on the inside the back cover. I done it this way( not the recomeded way) until i got my self a oscillscope.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-25-2004 07:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Langfield
Is there a way of working out how to set the 'levels' without an osiloscope? Is there any levels to adjust? Can I do it with a DMM?
There are no user-adjustable items on a DA20 ouside of automation control and delays, and nothing that would affect the way the reader operates.

Take out the bulb. Look at the reflector, it should be mirror-clear. Regardless of how bright it is when lit, if it has ANY fogging of any type on the reflector, chuck the bulb and install a new one (GE type EPT or Osram type EXZ are preferred)

If you haven't monkeyed with any of the lateral, focus, or azimuth adjustments on the reader, things should come back to something resembling normal after the bulb change.

If you have tinkered, a tech call (with a scope) will be necessary to properly rectify the problem.

-Aaron

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2004 08:57 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went from F to 0, 1s and 2s just from changing the bulb. definitely do that first

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2004 09:11 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when u get an F or when you get the - do the Green Digital and Amber Analogue LEDs light up?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-26-2004 10:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I went from F to 0, 1s and 2s just from changing the bulb."

That only happens in Texas! Since SRD has appeared I've only ever seen one print with one reel of zeros, the other five reels had 2's and 3's and that was a world premiere print I ran a couple of years ago. Typically we see 3's, 4's and 5's in this part of the world, many brand new prints even run through with solid 6's.

If you're still having trouble after you change the lamp one thing to check is the four rows of green LED's under the front cover. All should be lit evenly and all should stay on 95% of the time, a couple of LED's blinking quickly is acceptable and is just an indication of normal errors. If they are all out or all blinking rapidly then a tech will be required to reset the reader, or diagnose whats wrong with the DA-20. Also check the edge of the lateral guide roller, see if its shiny alumnium colored instead of the nice Black hard coat it is supposed to be. I have seen many worn ones lately and that requires a re-alignment of the CCD camera board to compensate for the wear and resultant lateral shift of the film. When you have the back off to change the lamp its also a good idea to check the white molex's on the power supply board as almost all 700's around here have had(or would have soon had) failure of the Molex connectors. Just remove the connectors from both the board and the wires and solder the wires directly to the board. If you do this you will likely never experience a failure of a CAT 700 power supply..... Unless of course lightning is your enemy....

P.S. Bill,
It is normal for all four of the rows of green LED's to blink rapidly when no film is threaded in the film path. Both the DA-20 and CP-500 will exhibit this. Cover the camera lens or light source and the blinking will stop.

Mark @ CLACO

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-26-2004 11:24 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree it must be a Texas thing. I pretty much see 3's 4's and 5's on our unit.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-26-2004 01:11 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
That only happens in Texas! Since SRD has appeared I've only ever seen one print with one reel of zeros
Must be the way you all are setting them up. I routinely got 0's (on trailers, yet, running Cinemeccanica V5 basement readers), when I was doing the service thang in Boston.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-26-2004 01:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I only see 0-1s at theaters that run cleaners with FilmGuard. We ran 0-1s on Christie P35GPS basement readers in Colorado, so it's not just a Texas thing. I think it's more of a film handling issue. If there is ANY shedding of the print, the track will read higher with each pass of the film. This isn't an absolute blanket statement, for older well worn projectors (V5s, Centurys, etc) are pretty gentle on film as well, but even with that virtually everyone reports the error scale gets knocked down a couple of points on used prints once they are passed through FilmGuard.

Start keeping score next time you see a high error rate and let me know what lab you see it coming from. There is a pattern. Still a high error rate is "3".

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That only happens in Texas!
We had a print called "a day without a mexican" I do not know if it was a very big release or not. I kid you not, the entire print ran and never got above a 1. This was with two readers but one prcessor (on a roll around cart), did the same on both.

Of course, Brad said he did some of the sound install at my theater and that could be why. [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-26-2004 01:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, the auditoriums I did were all SDDS, one or two of them were definitely SDDS-8 to my recollection.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-26-2004 03:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I would agree Brad except that I've actually tried using some of those actual films to tweek the readers down to perfection. It just is that bad around here. One of the funny things is that the film that was running all 6's was with a BACP reader on a DA-20 so one can imagine that with a CAT 700 and CP-500 that it wouldn't have played back at all. I will make a log though as I go around and we'll see if it proves or disproves anything. I also agree that 3 is a high error rate and is what I used to see back in the Midwest area and out here when I first got here. Its gotten really bad in the last few years though. Thats why none of our customers really want to buy SRD any more. I have not noted any unusual projector problems either and I service such a wide variety of macines out here and see this happen in many places.... on Christies, on Simplexs, Centurys, Norelcos etc. I do see an ocasional low error reel in a print but its never consistant through the entire print. Now perhaps you can more understand why I've pretty much abandoned SRD.

Tim, It was about the time you were laid off that the prints started reading high error rates out here. I really can't see that its the setup I'm doing wrong because I do on occasion see a very low error rate. Geez, I've setup hundreds of these things over the years.

Mark @ CLACO

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 04:46 PM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,
if you like, you can download Windras, a Dolby software that gives you the opportunity to watch at the quality of the print and the alignment of the reader.

You need a PC and a M/F DB9 cable (pin to pin); if you are not sure, it's better not to modify the reader alignment, but it is possible to reach a not so bad result with it.

But scope is the best for perfect digital reading!

Ciao
Nando

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 08:09 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to that Dolby Training Seminar and they said to bring a cable with my laptop, is that the cable? Can I also use it for SDDS?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-26-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Geez, I've setup hundreds of these things over the years.
Mark, yes, I know you have. I was just ribbin' ya. [Wink] Too bad the QC has denegraded since I've been out of the loop.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: