Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How wide does a booth need to be? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How wide does a booth need to be?
Bruce Felt
Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 03:25 PM      Profile for Bruce Felt   Email Bruce Felt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am working on a design for a new theater and need to know how wide to make the booth. I assume wider is better but how wide is necessary? Two projectors pointing the same direction and one pointing the other way.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-24-2004 03:34 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As wide as it has to be to accomodate all the equipment and accessories, and to comply with any local fire codes regarding a clear pathway thru the booth.

Hint: bigger is usually always better: Compact booths are neat looking if properly laid out, but they can be hell to comfortably work in. Been there, done that. I'll take the 'wide open spaces' anytime. [Smile]

-Aaron

Bruce Felt
Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Bruce Felt   Email Bruce Felt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

How wide in feet?

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 04:22 PM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our booth has projectors facing either direction (not directly back to back though) and is 10 feet wide. Works fine

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 04:27 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if the booth you are designing only has three projectors in that formation, I'd make it like 12 feet...give ya a little extra room

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-24-2004 06:14 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I presume you mean how deep to make the booth as opposed to how wide since the literal answer is wide enough to put each machine on center for that screen plus room for the platters. I'll second Dean; nice if one can walk straight through without zigzagging.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-24-2004 06:47 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you will be using platters, be sure to allow enough room to move the makeup table to each platter. I've worked in one booth which was tight enough that it required that the reel shaft and drive pin be removed to get a Christie MUT from one house to another, which was far from ideal.

Also, check the manufacturer specs on required ventilation for rectifiers, lamphouses, etc. Some of these items might require a certain amount of unused space on some or all sides of the unit.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-24-2004 07:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This question came up from one of our customers...their Architect drew it at 10-feet....we showed them the difference 14-feet would make....they went with 14-feet....10-feet works but is stupid. 14-feet is practical and allows a clear pathway down the middle.

Steve

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-24-2004 07:52 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Steve. The 14' booths I've worked in are so much better. 10' is just insane.

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-24-2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you mean just over 4-1/4 meters? [Wink]

Steve

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-24-2004 08:32 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New designs should leave room for a Digital Projector and its support rack. There will be a period of time when you will want both film and digital cinema projectors side-by-side:

http://www.kodak.com/go/dcinema

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-24-2004 08:32 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, ceiling tiles are still 2' wide.

I thought the lifespan of an average theatre was only about 20 years John. [Smile]

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-24-2004 08:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I think he is referring to back-to-back space...not front-wall width.

In my case, I need to allow for all three projectors...two film and one TV.

Steve

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2004 09:26 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to provide plenty of ventilation and a way for air to enter the room. The exhaust from the lamps pull air out of the room, you must have a way for new air to get into the booth.

Peter Schoell
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2004 11:43 PM      Profile for Peter Schoell   Email Peter Schoell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your planning a new building, go big. If a remodel or add on, sometimes you have to work with what you got.
I've got one booth that's about 8 x 10 ft for one projector, platter, wall sound rack, and makeup table. This would be OK if They hadn't had a stairway taking a 3X 5 ft chunk out of one corner.
I'm, putting in another booth that will be in a room about 8 X 9 ft with a furnace in one corner, a walkway in front of the projector, and I'm going to have to cut the pedestal about a foot, so I can clear a ceiling beam. The alternative is to build a bigger booth and project with mirrors.

Say Hi to Tom for me, and tell him he needs to join NC/Nato, we need somebody to plan parties.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: