Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Are Cinemeccanica's expensive machines? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Are Cinemeccanica's expensive machines?
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 10:38 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... are they?

How do the pedestal, two-peice (Vic 5 and 8) ones compare price wise to other projector makes?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 8 is an expensive machine, but you get a lot of bang for your buck, remember it's really a 35/70mm projector, so cost wise is comparable with other 35/70s.

The 5 is probably cost wise about the same as other common machines, Century, Kinoton etc. It's a very competitive market, he who undercuts his competitor by £0.02 may well win!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-24-2004 11:46 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In ny experiences, parts for Simplexes and Centurys are less expensive than Cinemeccanicas...

Be glad you didn't say 'Bauer', 'Kinoton', or 'Norelco' [Razz]

-Aaron

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-24-2004 11:54 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(W * J * F)/C

where

W = Weave expressed as % of image width shift frame to frame
J = Jump expressed as % of image height shift frame to frame
F = number of frames shown
C = installed cost of projector

Now who gives you the most bang for the buck? [Mad]

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 01:58 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bauer's aren't good? One of our nicest movie palaces had two Bauer U2 35/70 machines with carbons... I don't know what kind of lamphouse though...

Do Cinemeccanica's re-sell for a decent price like other projectors?

A salesman from their office once told me that buying direct from them would be VERY expensive.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 02:52 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are Cinemeccanica's expensive machines?

Hmmm, only Australians will get this little quiz.

Lets say there are two big Cinema chains.

One shops at K-Mart, the other shops at Myer.

One buys Vics, other buys Christies.

Which chain shops at K-Mart?

Hint: I now work for the one that shops at Myer, not the one that shops at Kmart.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-24-2004 03:30 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrew McCrea
Bauer's aren't good? One of our nicest movie palaces had two Bauer U2 35/70 machines with carbons...
I wasn't saying that Bauers aren't good, just that parts for them (from Kinoton, natch) are incredibly expensive compared to a Simplex, Century, or Christie.

-Aaron

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All parts for the different german's are most expensive, but on the other hand (knock on wood) - You seldom need any ! (at least for the old projectors)
The only sprockets, I've had to change on my two DP70's, since I brought them back in 1974, is the intermittent - the others sat on the machines when they arrived - and I guess, they are the originals from 1960 (yeah - 44 years, 4-5 shows a day [Smile] ), still making no noise and no tear on films. Pressure bands maybe once every five years - the plast things on the FP30 were shifted within the first year...
For the Bauer U2 Yu may not be able to get any parts, unless You buy a prjector somewhere for scrap, but still, the main problem will be to tear down the whole projector to change even the smallest screw - and THAT will cost You, if You are not doing it Yourself ! [Big Grin]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-24-2004 09:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Canada cinemecanica v5 sells for about the same price as a simplex all depending on the exchange rates
Personally i would prefer the vic 5 to a simplex in the long run

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-24-2004 11:31 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason for the Bauer parts being as expensive as they are is that indeed you very rarely have to change any of them. In Germany, there are many of these machines still running, but still there is no big market for parts because they are just so precisely and solidly manufactured. I think it is probably the most solid projector I have seen. You just need tracks and a gun, then you can use them as a tank.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2004 12:08 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the closure last month and demolition of the Pinetree 6 in Coquitlam (B.C.), there should be six used Vic-5's (maybe one -6?) around somewhere looking for a home. Your local Cinematronics or Best Theatre Supply rep might be able to locate a contact for you (and a quote in $Cdn.).

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2004 12:13 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree the Bauer are very well built. Parts have always been expensive so that is one of the reasons why I try and stockpile any and all parts I can find for my U-2. I have 5 heads, 2 bases, and many spare parts and always looking for more. I am looking for 2 more bases if anyone out there has a pair they want to part with.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-25-2004 01:03 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could point you to sources in Germany but I guess for the bases the shipping costs would be too prohibitive.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-25-2004 09:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bauer U-2 is one of the best projectors ever made, probably the second or third best(except for the mass of unnecessary relays in the base). Phillips DP-70 is of course the best. Shakeamecanica'a are VERY expensive here in the States and the parts are ultra expensive. They don't call them Shakeamecanica down here because they are well liked...... General Enema was the last big customer for them in the states amnd that was in the 80's!

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-25-2004 09:38 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where does one get Cinemeccanica parts? I sent mail to Jack Roe USA, but never got a reply.

I need the adjustment tool for Cinemeccanica lamphouses. It's the thing that looks like a tube with two slots cut out of one end. Is this a standard part? I couldn't find anything like it at any of several hardware stores. Maybe Grainger has them, but I have no idea what to look under in their catalog for something like this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: