Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Movie Palace Experience Film Series in NJ

Author Topic: Movie Palace Experience Film Series in NJ
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2004 12:19 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to let you guys know about this.
__
The Union County Arts Center is proud to annouce it's film series line up for the 2004-2005 Movie Palace Experience Film Series. 24 classic films ranging from the 1920's silents through 2003. Buy early and save $40: that's over a dollar and a half off each $5 regular admission. Our season pass is good for all 24 films which includes 5 vintage silent films with "live" Theatre Organ Accompaniment and 4 lecture series. The Union County Arts Center is the only theatre in New Jersey that recreates the movie going experience of the 1920's, 30's 40's and 50's. Each movie will include vintage shorts, trailers and anything else we can find. Along with all the major studio and private archives, our goal is to present films that you wouldn't normally see anywhere else. This year includes "The Beatles Come To Town" as part of our "Hard Days Night' Showing Sept 18th, 2004. Another gem for this year is a recent discovery, "Ziefeld's Midnight Frolic" starring Eddie Cantor. This film was considered lost by film historians. Midnight Frolic will be presented as part of the showing for "Kid Boots" starring Eddie Cantor in his only silent film appearance. You'll also enjoy the opulence of the theatre itself. The Union County Arts Center is a "fully" restored 1928 vaudeville theatre which houses it's original restored Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ. The organ will be played for each movie preshow and will also be used for to accompany the silent film series. You will not be disappointed.

Check out our website for schedules. You can buy your pass online 24 hours a day. There is still room left. So come on down and bring a friend. If you don't want to see all the shows, buy the pass with a friend. They are transferable.

The Movie Palace Experience WebSite
Union County Arts Center Homepage

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-23-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernie! I haven't heard from you in ages, I was over there in April, but there was nothing on at your place the weekend I was there. I did get to the Lafayette and the Loew's. I know where Rahway is now, I went through it on the train to Trenton.

I'll send you an e-mail this evening.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-23-2004 06:03 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sun Valley Serenade! Mark G, you may have to fly out there. [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-23-2004 07:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Thanks! I can see a mint condition 35mm print of it just about any time I go up there and its a VERY pleasant drive through some VERY senic country to get there.... where it was all filmed. I've actually stayed in Glen Millers room when I stayed at the resort(so I've been told). Normally they only run it at the resort's theatre in 16mm though. The theatre at the resort is pretty neat in itself and is immaculately maintained like everything else there.

I do have to wonder how they got ahold of it since Sun Valley Resort (Actually Earl Holding) owns the rights to it.... not 20th Century Fox. I wonder if the resort(or Earl Holding) knows about this? They have never let the film out for any showings that I am aware of since it was shown on cable back in the 80's. It is for sale on VHS in the Sun Valley Gift Shop.
Its is also possible that they may have sent it out and this might actually be Sun Valley's 35mm print they are running.
The Holding family also owns Sinclair Oil and Little America Resorts among other things.

Mark @ CLACO

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 10:48 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sun Valley is more of an experiment to see if people will come out for more obscure movies. Plus it's a tie in with the Miller Orchestra who will be appearing Live.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-24-2004 11:48 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernie, I tried to e-mail you last night, to the address on Film-Tech, but it bounces. I'll try sending a private message tonight.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 01:20 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to challenge Mark's knowledge of the ownership of "Sun Valley Serenade", but it has shown up on Fox Movie Channel (not nearly as often as its sister film "Orchestra Wives", so Fox obviously has some kind of deal with the rights holders.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-25-2004 09:38 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its very possible the film deals go through Fox back to Sun Valley to be ok'd. They very definately own the negative to the film. Although I don't have cable I have not seen it appear on TV in this area ever. Nor in the Chicago market where I used to live except once on AMC back in the 80's. "Orchestra Wives" is definately the better of the two!!

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: