Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Water cooling V5 curved gate

Author Topic: Water cooling V5 curved gate
Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2004 09:32 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The water cooling pipes for the straight gate
of the Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 is incorporated
in the gate assembly. But the water cooling for
the curved gate is a separate unit, mounted
behind the gate, with no direct contact.

I donīt know if this makes a big difference or
not, but to me it seems direct contact would be
more efficient.

I run 4 kW with the curved gate and no water-
cooling. Would adding this "non-contact" cooling
be a waste of money at this power?

Thomas

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-23-2004 10:46 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To whomever answers that, I'd also add the comparison between the Simplex and Century coolers. Century's is direct contact with larger diameter piping than Somplex's, which just replaces a baffle. Given the same tank and pump, the Century seems to run cooler.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-25-2004 01:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cetainly the cooling pipes being in contact with the trap would be the more efficient route to go but it is difficult to do this with some designs. The Simplex's is just a baffle and it is in contact with the apreature plate only and barely cools the apreature at that. The Century cooling loop is in the dovetail mount for the entire trap assy. This dovetail mounts to the mainframe of the projector affording some cooling to the frame and does provide much more effective cooling than the Simplex does. The older V-10 and V-8 Cinemecannicas had really good water and air cooling combined. Probably the best is the DP-70 and its cooling plate method which has been the most efficient that I've worked with.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: