Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Trailers - revised?

Author Topic: Trailers - revised?
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2004 01:26 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few trailers that I see are revised versions. What exactly is revised? The sound? On some the running time is the same. For instance, I have Bad Boys 2, tsr #1 revised with a running time of 2:12. I also have one listed with a running time of 2:21, teaser #1, not marked as revised. Whether this one was a misprint by me I dont know (can anyone verify this?), but I'm still curious why they release revised trailers instead of making new ones.

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2004 02:35 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think it's sometimes due to errors. early trailers for f9/11 had out-of-sync sound. early trailers for bon voyage had subtitles printed too low. these were both rereleased with those problems corrected but otherwise the same (f9/11 also had a caption shortened so it could be read in the short time the shot was onscreen). i'd have to check but i think the new versions were labeled "revised".

btw, i just sent you an email (unrelated).

carl

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-23-2004 05:34 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Revised" could mean a variety of things, from a slight edit in the picture or sound to a complete recut. If you have the original and "revised" version, view them on a syncronizer or pair of interlocked projectors to see what might be different.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2004 04:26 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we all agree that, we really have no idea what a trailer marked 'revised' means.

Thought so.

The only thing I can think of is Spiderman 1 where it showed the twin towers, and some trailer that showed SONY on it on some big screen in New York.

And I was so looking farward an answer that defined it, not just a general 'guess'.

So the GM says 'are we running the revised version'
I DON'T even know the difference, how is he going to?

BTW: We do measure every trailer to the foot (well not all five trailers of The Girl Next Door Ver1, just one them), with a frame counter, and I've never thought to compare a 'revised' trailer to the original on the counter. Must try it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-23-2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Revised Version" can also mean that the rating has been added. Same with one-sheets that are otherwise identical.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-27-2004 03:37 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>We do measure every trailer to the foot<<

Hi Bill

Why do you do that?

John

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i do that too if the running time is not on the label, or looks wrong. that way i know how long the trailer packs are before they run.

carl

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-27-2004 01:31 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But couldnt you just time everything during a screening, then remove the trailers that cause the total showtime to be too long. It would be pretty easy, just put the trailer that you are unsure of first, so its easier to pull.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2004 01:46 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i only have to measure each trailer version once. then if the next week i have to pull one trailer and add another, it's easy to revise the total running time. during the screening i'm timing the feature, not the trailers.

i don't have any choice in the trailer programming. i mainly do the timing thing so latecomers can accurately be told, "your movie has started. please go away."

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: