Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Exorcist: head reel six

Author Topic: Exorcist: head reel six
Rick Mort
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2004 09:54 PM      Profile for Rick Mort   Email Rick Mort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else have a hard time finding the first frame of reel six on the exorcist. I could see some frames but couldn't tell when the movie started. I just hope I spliced it at the beginning.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-19-2004 10:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Count 45 frames from the "3" on the head leader. Then hold the film up to the light so that you are looking through the film. There are framelines.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2004 11:44 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, I've been doing the "easy" approach by taking the head of one of the other reels and lining up the "3" marker. Where you chop is going to be the same spot on reel 6.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 12:54 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading Wolf's tip in some other thread. Worked perfect [thumbsup] .

Rick Mort
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 01:39 AM      Profile for Rick Mort   Email Rick Mort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna try that 45 frames next time. I somehow managed to get it right though, I just never had that problem before. thax for the tips.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-20-2004 05:35 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having a good viewer to illuminate the film as you are making the splice is very useful in finding the framelines. Gepe and others make some nice ones:

http://www.gepe.com/english/162.htm

quote:
Gepe Slim Light Illuminators
With 5000K ± 270K Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps (CCFL)

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2004 01:30 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Count 45 frames from the "3" on the head leader.
how do you reckon 45 frames? i checked leaders from 4 different films and on each one it was 47 frames of black between the "3" frame and the first frame of action. this makes sense as it makes the first frame equivalent to "0" if you extend the countdown.

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: