Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Miramax Goes Cyan (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Miramax Goes Cyan
Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2004 06:23 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miramax has announced that it will release all it's 35mm prints with cyan analog soundtracks starting January 1, 2005.

MGM - Currently releasing with a majority percentage of its prints with Cyan analog soundtracks.

Disney - "MR. 3000" comes out on September 17th, with 100% cyan analog soundtracks. All films by Disney will be rleased this way as of January 1, 2005.

Miramax. They were the first studio to do a successful test release of the film, "Get Over It", with a handful of prints using cyan analog soundtracks. Now, they are making their support for this environmentally friendly, technology change by announcing the move.

That's three out of ten.

If this was baseball, we'd be a top ten hitter batting .300... Ted Williams was the last hitter to end a season with a batting average over .400. If one more Studio jumps in, we'll be batting .400 by the end of 2005.

That is the plan.

"Take me out to the theatre,
Take me out to the crowd,
Buy me some peanuts and red light readers..."

Sorry, I got carried away. But I will say this, way to go Miramax! Steppin' up to the plate big time with a home run.

Yours, Ted

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 06:46 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy me some...red light readers.

Ah...commerce. Ka-ching.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miramax=Disney [beer]

It's the same company. [Eek!]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2004 08:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He hit a foul I say!

Mark

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 08:50 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After Michael Moore's 911, I'm not sure Miramax and Disney will stay married. If it was up to Disney we would not have gotten to see W looking like a Possum caught in the garage. (Sorry, had to slip that in).

Disney is going Cyan in Mexico and all of South America as well and the labs have ben gearing up for this.

Guttag, where are you?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 09:51 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
Ah...commerce.
Ah...no Hydroquinone.

Ah...no sodium hydroxide (lye/caustic soda).

Ah...a single fixer, not two.

Ah...much less fresh water used to process print film.

Ah...less silver in landfills.

Ah...no soundtrack degradation from application problems.

Ah...no silver blotches or bleeding in the picture area.

Ah...much less print waste.

Ah...better print quality.

With over 10 Billion feet of prints made worldwide annually, the environmental advantages are very real. [thumbsup]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-19-2004 01:00 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all these alledged savings, why aren't the companies saving all the money sharing the cost of the conversion with the theatres??? As usual in this business it's the exhibitors who get screwed while somebody else stashes the cash. Without this consumption of silver, will the supply go up and price of silver go down?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-19-2004 03:40 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! More spare exciter lamps to run films from the other 70% of the studios. Still batting .700, not too shabby! Just kidding. [Big Grin]

What happened to "Dolby Dolby Dolby" ?!

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2004 04:45 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exciter lamps, what are those?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-19-2004 05:36 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
As usual in this business it's the exhibitors who get screwed while somebody else stashes the cash. Without this consumption of silver, will the supply go up and price of silver go down?

Without silver redevelopment, more silver will be recovered in the process fixer solution and recycled. But IMHO, it will have little effect on the market price of silver, since between film, electronics, jewelry, and other silver users, it is a huge market.

As noted before, the film raw stock remains the same, with no decrease in manufacturing cost because of cyan dye tracks. So with cyan dye tracks eliminating waste (scrapped reels) from soundtrack application quality problems, the film manufacturers will sell LESS film.

Modern reverse scan readers offer advantages beyond compatibility with cyan dye tracks, so there is benefit to theatres in upgrading.

Barbara Toriel
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2004 10:39 AM      Profile for Barbara Toriel   Email Barbara Toriel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Kerchinsky
Exciter lamps, what are those?
I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic, it's hard to tell written sarcasm but exciter bulbs are located near the analog sounddrum (at least on Christie's and Victoria 8s) in fact it is the light (?) for that reader.

However I am not sure if they are still commonly used. I remember about a year ago AMC had all it's theatre's get little digital readers to replace the exciter bulbs.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2004 10:47 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl,

I know some laptops get pretty hot, but does your one really need that large extrattion duct attached to it? [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-19-2004 11:40 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely! Those slim line notebooks (Dell X200) get quite hot without them.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2004 12:51 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought maybe you had the carbon arc backlight option for the display!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-19-2004 12:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No he has an Imax 15K water cooled xenon on it that is why it needs the large duct because the water lines run in it as well [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: