Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ORC Rectifier problem?

Author Topic: ORC Rectifier problem?
Richard B. Perrine
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2004 01:32 PM      Profile for Richard B. Perrine   Email Richard B. Perrine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the info.....we have a ORC XPS-45S set up at 110amps for a 4K bulb... lamphouse is a Xenon 1 with the glass reflector and a different ignitor (type unkown)...formally from John Harvey's Cinerama set-up.
a while ago.....the amperage dropped to between 70-80 amps and we got a little flicker. It stricks OK and run OK otherwise.

The diodes have bee checked....and even changed them and put in a new set.....with no change. Checked and tightend loose connections.

What else could be wrong? the manual don't give me a clue.

Some of the bigger ORC's have extra "current limiting" circuit breakers on them ...butnot on this one.

Can you guy give me some help here?

RBPerrine@aol.com

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 01:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the XPS45 rectifiers they often had a second set of contactors (open framed styled relays) that switched the input taps from hig during ignition to the level selected they may have gone south
measure the lotage phase to phase on the input to the diodes to see if one of the tranformers is not outputing correctly and then look for a corroded connection to it

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2004 02:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that these use alumnium windings on the main trannys. back in the Midwest I serviced several drive ins that had these and I had the alumnium wire disentegrate where its crimped to the copper wire connections. Check these crimps carefully and I think you'll find one open. I reccomend re-doing all the crimps but coat the wires first with non-oxidation grease. but even with the grease the windings will eventually open again. Seems to be more the dis-similar metals that cause it to disentegrate over time.

Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 02:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The XPS45 was a all copper transformer unlike the earlier ones that Miller made for ORC
The XPS45 is the same as the CFS and the LPA recifier of the same size (also the same as the current Strong HiReactance one)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2004 05:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I guess that they learned the hard way with the alumnium stuff and everyting after that was copper. What is the model number of those that had the alumnium windings?

Mark

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-18-2004 06:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check that you have the full voltage on all three phases of AC into the lamphouse. If you don't, check the breaker in the wall, it is likely faulty.

Also, isn't 110A a little low for a 4K? I have been running 4K and 4500s at 135-145A...

-Aaron

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar problem with a 3kW (110 amp) ORC with variable tap transformers. I stepped up the "fine" taps by 5 amps (seems you might want to do this anyway) and the problem went away. I think there is a bad secondary winding in one of the transformers.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-19-2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark said "What is the model number of those that had the alumnium windings?" XPS30 and XPS40 come to mind

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-20-2004 05:17 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you measure the current going through the diodes with a clamp-on amperemeter?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: