Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Princess Diaries 2 dropping out of Digital in the first 15 min. of the feature

Author Topic: Princess Diaries 2 dropping out of Digital in the first 15 min. of the feature
Steven Jantzen
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Steven Jantzen   Email Steven Jantzen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a problem, and I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

PD2 likes to drop out of digital, but only in the first 15 minutes of the feature, the trailers run fine, and after that 15 to 20 minutes, it runs fine. I don't know what could be the problem, when the cleaner was applied, there was no problem. After that, we figured that it was the tension on the film before the gate, so we tightened the rollers on the topside digital sound reader, and still, it drops out. I have to wonder if it isn't the sound processor. We are running DTS-6D playback modules, with ultra sound js-2000 processors. The playback will register a time code, but will not play the discs, sometimes it doesn't even register the discs are there! [Mad]

I don't know what to do, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-17-2004 07:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a 6D come in from a customer today that they claim is doing the same thing. Sometimes plays back and sometimes not. Sometimes its like the disks are not evern there. They however are playing a different film and theor player seems ok. Have you tried playing another film with this system? Is it just this film that is giving you problems and was the last one ok? Have you checked the 4 volt time code reader adjustment?
The unit in our shop ran fine all day with the DTS setup disk and I am waiting for their time code reader to come in and check out.

Other possibilities are:
1. Bad CD Roms
2. Bad power supply that does after its been powered up a while(I've seen this quite a few times).
The fan is stalled in the power supply allowing it to over-heat and shut down. Look in the back by the air intake after the unit has been on and stops playing back.
Note: DTS says the fan cannot be replaced but thats a crock of [bs] . They just want to sell you a 300 dollar plus power supply. I've replaced at least 50 fans in the last 2 years in 6's and 6D's!! Its a standard 12 volt brushless muffin fan available from any computer wholesaler for less than 10 bucks.

Mark @ CLACO

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's registering time code then it does sound alot like a CD-ROM issue. Seeing as it's a 6D why not try playing the feature discs in Drives B and C to see if the problem persists. You might have a flaky A drive. The Reel 1 track on the CD could also be corrupt, maybe see if the disc looks physically damaged.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-17-2004 09:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the good old days when DTS would post here, the solution to that kind of a problem was always "order a new reel." If it's happening for the 15 to 20 minutes in, I would guess that your reel 1 has defective timecode.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-17-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The question is, during that first 15-20 minutes, do you have a solid timecode light or does it blink? If it blinks, but the rest of the film runs steady, order a new reel. If not, look into the cdrom drives next.

Are you still running off of the old Toshiba drives, or does this unit have Teac drives? If you don't know how to identify them, take the top cover of the dts6-d off and the brand name will be clearly stamped on the drives itself.

Steven Jantzen
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 10:37 PM      Profile for Steven Jantzen   Email Steven Jantzen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In response to your question mark,

The playback does not shut down, and yes, other films have ran fine, such as AVP, the villiage, The bourne supremacy, and so on.

Greg,

I looked at Disc A, and physically it seems ok, but I will try swapping the discs to drives B and C. Thanks for the suggestion

Brad,

The timecode is steady on, all through out the film. I will check into the Drives for you, but if i may ask, what difference does drive manufacture have, is Teac better then toshiba??

[Frown]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-17-2004 11:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If the timecode light is steady, it's not the reel. DON'T order a new one or you will end up getting charged for it!

At this point it is either defective discs or defective cdrom drives. The easiest solution at this point is to call up TES (800-99-FILMS) and request another set of dts discs. If they play, there's your problem. If they don't, then start looking into those drives.

The Toshiba drives are incredibly bad and fail regularly.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 11:29 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The teac drives are definately more reliable. You can tell if they are teac drives by the face plate of the drives. If you look at the front of the drive when it's closed, the toshiba drives will have an indented space the height of the tray on both sides. The teac drives will be completely flush around the circumference of the tray. If you find the movie plays fine in the B and C drives then it's probably time for an upgrade.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2004 02:32 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a time-code intermittently dropout on Collateral, 2nd reel. Thankfully it doesn't drop long enough to switch to analog, but another Collateral print I tried had even worse time-code problems. It was first for me.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2004 09:08 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Deleted due to double post.-

[ 08-18-2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Mark Gulbrandsen ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2004 09:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
If you do find out that you still have the older Toshiba drives in your unit then you will need to order the complete 3 drive upgrade kit from DTS. This kit also has the all important V 1.46 time code firmware update aside from the new drives and boards you will need to make the 32X or faster drives work properly. The last one I got from DTS had Teac CDWR drives in it, there are two LED's on the front panel of those.

All in all I'm willing to bet your DTS is fine and that you just have bad disks although it is also remotely possible a drive might have failed.
Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 02:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also have you checked the disks for a fingerprint or other defect? Doesn't take much of a smudge in the wrong place to wreak havoc.

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2004 08:52 PM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody have a problem with Dolby Digital on Collateral?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2004 10:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Collateral is tracking 0-1 in SRD here. For that matter, so is Princess Diarrhea. [Big Grin]

Steven Jantzen
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Steven Jantzen   Email Steven Jantzen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for you suggestions, We are ordering new discs as per my request so the problem should be fixed fairly soon. Mark and Brad, just because I'm a gadget person, I'm still gonna look into those drives and suggest the teac upgrade. I think it will be well worth the money

[Cool] Thank you very much [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: