Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » slide projector repair

Author Topic: slide projector repair
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-17-2004 09:23 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Ektagraphic III Model B projector with a flaky advance mechanism. Sometimes, it works fine. At other times, the advance mechanism lifts the slide normally, then makes a quick buzz (as if it is trying to advance), but the little black lever thing that moves the tray doesn't actually move, leaving the tray in the same position such that the same slide drops back into the gate.

I am assuming that there is a bad solenoid in there somewhere, but I've never taken one of these apart. Is this something that I can fix easily myself with readily available parts? If not, can it be repaired economically? Or should I just get another one on Ebay for $50?

|  IP: Logged

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 12:59 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go for the one on eBay for $50 if it's going to be cheaper, assuming that it works well. We send ours out to be repaired, and the shipping alone has to come close to $50.

Also, have you changed carrousels? I had a problem like that, and I changed out slide projectors to find that it was the damn carrousel that made the advance flaky.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 01:42 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'd try a new carrousel, like Dean said, or switch one between screens, and see how that one works.

If those projectors are the ones Im thinking of they are crap, even being Kodak, they are bad.
Are they ones with two bulbs? Where one fails the other one is supposed to auto back up? - If so of ALL the ones Ive seen they just fall to pieces. Need paper clip to secure the mirror for #1 bulb and dont even bother with the back up bulb.

Also the 'kickerer-outer-arm' might be coming up too high and not dropping of in time when the advance-arm tries to advance the carrousel.

Check the carrousel for broken/bent fins where the advance arm engages, and that the slides themselves are snapped closed fully, also sometimes the 35mm film perfs are not 'located' correctly in the slide frame, and make it bulge out, stopping the slide from dropping straight back into the gate.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-17-2004 02:17 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slide projector service companies:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/av/slideProjectors/service.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/repair/slideProj/index.jhtml

quote:
The following repair centers will perform repair service on KODAK Projectors.

Or these phone numbers:

In the U.S call...
1-800-242-2424 ext 10

In Canada call...
613-634-1922

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 04:19 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.langieav.com
I have used these guys a lot, they are quick, inexpensive, and will turn them right around for you. But shipping may be prohibitive....
lance

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-17-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lance C. McFetridge
www.langieav.com
I have used these guys a lot, they are quick, inexpensive, and will turn them right around for you. But shipping may be prohibitive....
lance

Being in East Rochester NY, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the technicians at Langie AV are retired Kodak people, who may even have serviced projectors for Kodak. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-17-2004 07:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old carousel projectors make for great target practice at the local rifle range!! I also reccomend the old Kintek stuff for target practice. Its a fitting end for both [thumbsup] .

Mark @ CLACO

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2004 04:17 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used many slide projectors. I've had the least trouble with the Kodak Carousel models. I have serviced several Carousels. Well-built machines. When they're good, they're good, and when they are evil... Makes me want to start drinking FG again just thinking about it!!

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2004 04:26 PM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Mark! You know deep down inside you miss the Cal & Bal [Wink]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-18-2004 04:31 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would get one from ebay and when you have a little time, also open the one you have and take a look. They are not complicated and sometimes just need cleaning and adjustment. Maybe it is an easy repair job. But in any case, if you plan to use slides for a long time, get at least 1 or 2 backups. Since they have been discontinued, in the near future it will become very difficult to get parts. You could also contact some of the advertisement companies. Since many screens have been converted to LCD projectors or digital ad machines, some of the advertisers have literally thousands of slide projectors sitting in storage.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: