Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projectionist Roster in Excel

Author Topic: Projectionist Roster in Excel
Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I'm after is a PROJECTIONIST ROSTER using MS excel.
Could not find anything searching on FT.
Before you say anything, All those so called freeware programs are NOT what Im after, Just want a spreadsheet.

If anyone is using exel to create ANY type of staff roster let me know what you've got (But it needs to just the WEEKS SHIFTS, not the STAFF ROSTER with how old they are, the payrates, how many upsizes sold that week. JUST THE WEEKS SHIFT!! (well 4 week rotating would be nice)

What Im after is something that knows NOT to allow rostering someone on Monday night, who has a perm n/a, or has a n/a entered due to working at another location.

I was going to send screen capture of one I made a few years ago but just remembered (after searching all my HDD's) I deleted the folder named 'hoyts', a about a year ago, where most of my blood, sweat and tears were stored. (Just forgot to save the good stuff - Damn it)

What ever you've got, send it to me (or create a link for everyone to use), and you and I can from there to create a PROJECTIONIST ROSTER that works.

Im sure there are many of you that would like an easy to create roster - or is there one already there?

Ok I admit it (Brett) the pen and paper one works fine.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kicking this to the top, because...

COME ON, someone must have something.

At least tell me HOW do you do your roster??

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-29-2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pen and paper, or the simple, I'll work this week you work next week method.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-29-2004 03:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need anything fancy for a schedule. Just open up Excel and fill in some boxes. It's not like you have a staff of 30 in the booth anyway.

-

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2004 03:50 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROFL, love Daryl's sleep breaks!

I work at 3 cinemas, and mostly end up doing seven days a week including a double on sat or sun, sometimes both.

Believe me when I overlay all three rosters it is not unlike your 'Daryl' roster.

I'll try and knock something up in Excell like you suggest Brad.

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 09:55 AM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Langfield
What Im after is something that knows NOT to allow rostering someone on Monday night, who has a perm n/a, or has a n/a entered due to working at another location.

If you want it to have that sort of intelligence with respect to given restraints (eg can't work Mondays) use Integer Linear Programming.

In other words put in your

Decision variables (shifts)
Your constraints (can/can’t work min/max hours)

Then use the built in Excel solver

----------------
EDIT: Now that I think about it, if you only have a few staff and you want something really simple… use Excel’s Validation

ONLY Brad can work Sunday Morning

-

Anyone can work Sunday Arvo

-
---------

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 12:01 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, that looks interesting.

Yes the bio roster is completely seperate to down stairs, the only concern is when a projectionist is rostered as manager.

Or even worse, this one pisses me off the most, I need a day off, but can't get it, then I come in and see a projectionist selling tickets/candy/floor, I go what the hell is this, and they say short of staff, AND IM THINKING any fu*kwit can print a ticket, pour a coke, or tear a ticket. And they have a projectiomist doing it when I needed a shift off.

Could you please email that speadsheet to me?
Or is it just a mock up like Brads?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-2004 03:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew's spreadsheet is flawed. You would never catch me working a morning shift on any sort of regular basis! [Razz]

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 07:19 PM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click Here for the Excel File (Pictured Above)

That’s a lot easier than my one of my Excel scheduling problems this week....
 -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: