Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » mut staying on full speed

Author Topic: mut staying on full speed
Mark L Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 04:01 AM      Profile for Mark L Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Mark L Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone know how to adjust speed on one of these things? when i go to rewind it's on full speed wont adjust. feeds out perfect.

|  IP: Logged

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 08-15-2004 04:44 AM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the Brand?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 11:26 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeh, there are plenty of different makes and models of makeup tables out there. We need to know which one yours is in order to help.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-15-2004 11:31 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and it would probably be a good idea to include the brand name in the topic header.

Mark L Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Mark L Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Mark L Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eprad

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-16-2004 12:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely it is the variac that has gone bad and it may be as simple as the connection to the common (soldered to the centre of the variac winding) is open also maybe the microswitch on the cam for rotation is not set correctly

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-16-2004 06:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, better read the FAQ and fix your thread title before one of the Moderators takes a huge [bs] on you.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2004 09:13 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a FYI, when posting, make sure you give a little description in the topic title. For example: "What is the speed of a (insert brand) mut?"

Just to let you know...

Now before I get yelled at for being a wanna-be mod, I'm gonna go bye-bye.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-16-2004 10:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, there is a simpler way to explain the rule...

Read rule #7 and make appropriate corrections before you get booted from the forums.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eprad like below? If so LIKE Gordon said.
I know you can't SEE the mut, but it doesnt take a genius to work out what is hiding behind those reels.

-

Plus check that the variac is centred before lifting the arm.
Don't rely on the arrow on the control, twist it left and right until you feel it centred.
BTW: Im the good looking one in the blue shirt.

EDIT/ADDITION:

Here's a pile of junk I was going to post the other night after I saw Mark's 'mutt' post, but then the FORMULA 1 Race started. I really should edit it, but Im too lazy. Hope some of it makes sense.

Oh good, I’m glad Mark brought up the subject of Mut’s, I’ve a few questions too.
Though it is a real shame his subject and content explains EXACTLY nothing.
Oh well it’s only his second post. He’ll learn I guess.

One of the Cinemeccanica muts the type that have the slider not the rotary speed controller ‘blew’ up.
(Not sure of the model number, all I can suggest is the newer ones that come with the CNR-35’N’)

The main blame went to it being operated at full speed. I find that hard believes as are the speed control
Electronics not under any load

Before Mark gets busted for a lame Topic subject and bad content, I have a question too.

Oh first, Mark, with nothing to go on, I'd say the gizmo that controls slow to fast is burnt out and arc'd into fast mode! [Smile]
Nomally stuff like that shits itself and burns out into 'STOP what stinks mode'.

Anyway:
One of the Cinemeccanica muts the type that have the slider not the rotary speed controller ‘blew’ up.
(Not sure of the model number, all I can suggest is the newer ones that come with the CNR-35’N’)

The main blame went to it being operated at full speed. I find that hard believe as the speed control
Electronics not under any load when to full, surely?
Second blame went to that it was being broken down by the classic method of 'pulling' it onto 6000's.
Third, the idiler roller was not dis-engaged.
Forth, all or a combo of the above.

I dont really care what blew it up or what blew on it, it was before my time and most of the people that were there at the time are gone, that mut just sits in the corner now, there are others. I might open it up one day and see whats broken in there.

The end result, is that is now recommended to breakdown via the payout brain to either 2000' flats or to a 6000' spool.

Bizzare, Ive never heard of breaking down via the payout. Is it common?
Iv'e not tried it but I can only imagine it make for a loose wind to a flat, how ever there would zero load on the mut.

GOOTA go the F1 is....!!

Mark L Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2004 12:59 AM      Profile for Mark L Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Mark L Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys for your help... sorry for not being on the rule thing but i will next time.... mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-19-2004 05:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Mark has never read the FAQ and rules pages or he would have already corrected the problem.

It is YOUR responsibility to fix Mark. Please do this before you post further.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2004 08:04 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here I thought this was a thread about those cartoon characters Mutt & Jeff, not some boring film winding gizmo.

Mark L Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2004 03:23 PM      Profile for Mark L Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Mark L Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am getting better...........

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: