Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What kind of degausser are you using?

Author Topic: What kind of degausser are you using?
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 03:15 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After many years, my wand-type degausser has croaked & I must get another. Those of you who get mag prints: What make of degausser are you using?

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 04:42 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that many people who run mag have never degaussed...
I've talked to several people and that is what they told me. [Eek!]

btw, check ebay for those.
Tons of tape-deck/vcr demag wands for sale at less than $20.

danny

[ 08-12-2004, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: Dan Lyons ]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-11-2004 10:10 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Lyons
I'm afraid that many people who run mag have never degaussed...
I've talked to several people and that is what they told me.

Think of all the noisy or even partially erased mag tracks out there. [Frown]

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 01:28 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geneva Head Demagnetizer Model VCR 205

VR 205

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-11-2004 04:52 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Geneva is what I have in my toolbox. Highly recommended. Haven't had much need for it lately though. [Frown]

And for John, I sat through a 70mm screening of Sparticus a few years ago where the print sounded like it had been partially degaussed. [Frown] Does anyone still maintain the ability to resound 70mm release prints these days?

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2004 02:17 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys!

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 08-12-2004 02:56 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Yes films are being resounded in CA.
For more information Check with Paul Rayton at the Historic Egyptian Theater.

I loaned Paul a few 70mm short subject films a while back,
and we had a recent phone conversation in which he told me that a feature was resounded with a freshly restored soundtrack encoded with Dolby SR.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-12-2004 09:06 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the nice thing about mag, if you have a fairly pristine print that doesn't need to much conforming work done, it can be easily re-recorded. I saw this done once at the Sound Factory to a 35mm 4trk mag print of NASHVILLE. They had to put in a few black slugs in to conform it, they rerecorded it, sweetening the sound a bit, totally eliminating the 12k trigger on the surround track and doing some other tweaking, and then when all was said and done, the slugs were removed. The result was that a print which was almost junk-able to start (or which would only be useful as a optical mono) was returned to a full-fledged stereo print with relatively little work. It may also have been Technicolor which is why it was so important to make it viable again, I am not sure.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: