Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Paint in Booth (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Paint in Booth
Barbara Toriel
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2004 10:58 PM      Profile for Barbara Toriel   Email Barbara Toriel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The booth I am currently working in is begging for a new coat of paint, the short-term solution is posters, however it still will eventually need to be painted. I had heard that painting the booth a lighter shade actually affects film presentation. The walls are currently light salmon which I believe had been considered too light when it was painted. I was wondering if the paint on the walls really has considerable effect?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-10-2004 11:05 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't think that painting your booth walls a light color would have anything to do with film presentation unless you get the paint on the film. Our booth is pretty much a creamy white. Now bright lights shinning into an auditorium would cause a problem but that has nothing to do with paint.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-10-2004 11:19 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So a darker painted booth wouldnt attract more heat from the sunlight outdoors? I would assume more heat would cause stickier prints, thus affecting presentation.

Barbara Toriel
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2004 11:32 PM      Profile for Barbara Toriel   Email Barbara Toriel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why they had said it was an issue. White would be nice though... it would make the booth ALOT bigger. The lights are already covered with leftover black masking so that isn't an issue. And Mr. Fuentes... Ever heard of central air conditioning?

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-10-2004 11:37 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barbara Toriel
And Mr. Fuentes... Ever heard of central air conditioning?
No. [Wink] , but how did you know that I prefer to be called Mr Fuentes?? Too bad the other jerks around here dont call me that!! [Big Grin]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-11-2004 01:06 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Issues with paint coloring are more of an issue in multipurpose venues with large glass windows (instead of ports), or in booths that just have a lot of lighting. A white booth will shine more light into the room, and a black booth won't.

"It really depends on your booth."

There are far too many booths, though, even with only 2 or 3 portholes, where lights on in the booth means lights visible on the screen. Film Done Wrong [Frown]

--jhawk

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-11-2004 01:13 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yawn... [sleep]

>>>Phil

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-11-2004 01:30 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old booths were often two tone institutional green
I favor battleship grey primmer

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 01:59 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the impact of the colour on the mood of the person working in the environment. Dark colours tend to make things look dingy and people working in those conditions are often prone to depression and not being able to stay focused on their work. My personal preference would be probably a light grey or something which is along the lines of what Gord said I believe.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-11-2004 02:06 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grey primer rocks! It beast the heck out of the caution yellow a few booths around here were painted until I had enough one day.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 02:50 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this topic came up before. I remember Tim Reed mentioning the old Loew's booths & the dark green paint. They painted dark green on the walls up to a line at the top of the sightlines looking from the auditorium into the booth, then white above that & on the ceiling. It was a good system; the dark color from the audience sightlines, & white everywhere else to increase efficiency of the general lighting in the booth.

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 03:06 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paint it bright pink.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 08-11-2004 03:15 AM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paint it camoflauge. I plan on painting a mural of Phil Hill, Brad, and Joe doing various scenes from The Matrix in my booth sometime.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-11-2004 05:30 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Light neutral or pastel colors are fine, with the exception of booths with very large ports or windows that would let reflected light spill on the screen. Saturated colors may affect your color perception. Dark colors can be dreary, and make it difficult to evenly illuminate the work area.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 10:57 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with gordon , I was always lead to believe that darker colours were to go , most of the old boths I worked in were Flat Olive colour (a lighter olive that the army uses) This reduced booth light reflection , and well it was not all that unpleasant to work in.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: