Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Cat. No. 4185

Author Topic: Dolby Cat. No. 4185
Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2004 01:41 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good friend of mine gave me a few Dolby Trailers and I was wondering which version they were. The Dolby "Train" and "Egypt" trailers (cat. nos. 4185 and 6235 respectively) say they are Revision 1. Does that mean they are the a revision of the orginal one (changed) or are they just a re-release of the originals (no change)?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-06-2004 02:36 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only Dolby logo trailer that I know of that has been changed in any way was the 'Train' one: they remixed the sound on it. Many feel that the original mix sounds much better than the current one.

-Aaron

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do you know if Revision 1 is the "changed" version?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-06-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd probably nned to play it and see what kind of logo is at the end. Brad (and a couple of others here) could then tell you whether you have a copy with the original mix.

I think "City" is out of release at this time. I wonder if that one is being remixed also.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2004 08:39 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original version of " Train " said at the end " Dolby Stereo Digital " in possibly the old logo.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-06-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, the ORIGINAL version of the Train said "Dolby Stereo Digital" AND the follow-up mega-shitty version also said "Dolby Stereo Digital". The current version shipping says "Dolby Digital" and the mix is ok on it, but not speaker-blowing like that first great mix.

Dolby NEEDS to release that first mix again (perhaps with a warning sticker on it). If people are putting in second rate sound systems and their system gets damaged from it, that's their problem for not designing the system right in the first place. The rest of us shouldn't get punished.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2004 09:07 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who needs a Dolby trailer to test your sound system. Running "The Village" this week, sound goes from faint whispers to wall shaking BOOMS. And the sub woofer is making the light fixtures rattle in some spots. This is no small auditorium either, 450 seats.

Manny Knowles

- posted 08-06-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These trailers are for promotional use...not so much for testing.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2004 01:10 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so I'll just guess that Revision 1 is the shitty one?

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2004 09:53 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a scope Dolby trailer with STOMP I put on a week ago for fun. I don't think people in general care what kind of sound system you have as long as it sounds good.

Manny Knowles

- posted 08-07-2004 11:44 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "just for fun" and the "people don't care" parts make me wonder:

Were you playing that STOMP trailer through a Dolby system?

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2004 04:18 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Dolby CP-45 (if that counts, I really don't like the thing)

Manny Knowles

- posted 08-07-2004 05:28 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP45 is a Dolby processor so it counts...as long as you're not playing trailers with the "Digital" logo. STOMP has an SRD track but I think the logo just says "Dolby" so that's perfectly fine.

You can get really good playback with a CP45 but you have to spend more time finessing the controls...and having a "good room" (including the loudspeakers) will go a long way, too.

I loved my CP45's. If it weren't for them a lot of our theatres would not have been upgraded from mono+surround.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2004 09:24 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem is this is a 1949 450 theater with hard plaster walls. It would be nice to have more EQ control.

Manny Knowles

- posted 08-07-2004 11:00 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are those walls bare? If so, then that room is the biggest part of your problem.

Even with a better processor, you would probably end up overequalizing and I doubt you would ever get a truly great result.

On the other hand, if you fixed that room then you would get the most out of the CP45...or at least justify the purchase of a more expensive processor at some point.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: