Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong 35/70 platters.

Author Topic: Strong 35/70 platters.
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-06-2004 10:10 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the process of replacing our CFS Super Platters, with some Strong 35/70 platters. One has been running for a while, and one for about a week. I will be installing a third tomorrow. Is there anything that I should know about these platters, like common problems, do they tend to throw prints, do the motors tend to fail, stuff like that. Seeing from how the first one installed is working, they are way better than the Supers that we had before. I'm waiting for the "I told you so" from Brad or Todd.

|  IP: Logged

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2004 10:43 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Jeremy we have also done the same thing Strong platters are very good no complain at all.Thanks

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-06-2004 11:52 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They do not throw prints when properly timed.

They are FAR easier on film than a CFS platter.

They use basically the same motor as a CFS just in a different casing and using a different drive wheel assembly, so the motors should last about as long as a CFS.

They are 52" decks compared to the 48" decks of the CFS

The brains are removeable, the brains on a CFS Blue or [ORC]Orange are not.

The 'phase control' brains have been known to cause some headaches when they don't perform properly, there is a gross overkill (compared to a CFS microswitch) microswitch conversion for them that most people rave about.

I prefer the CFS MUT- The standard Strong MUT uses drive dogs (the pins that engage the holes in a reel) rather than a keyway, so you can't use split reels or core flanges with the Strong without purchasing optional keyed shafts for the MUT.

as always, YMMV. [Smile]

-Aaron

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-06-2004 01:10 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC there is no inherent difference between the 35/70 and the 35-only except for dual gauge rollers and an extra up/down on the tree. Advise you buy and install 35mm rollers & tree assembly and whatever part of the MUT was dual gauged. Box up the 35/70 stuff til you need it or sell it to someone who does. Might save you some scratched prints if someone allows the film to ride up where it doesn't belong.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-06-2004 01:12 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We currently have the 35mm payout heads running. I didnt feel to comfortable running the others. For now the rollers on the tree are for 35/70, until replacements are ordered.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-06-2004 05:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Jeremy, it's an improvement, just not a very good one. Still at least you are making some progress. Be sure and post when you have film problems so I can say "I told you so". [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-06-2004 08:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reccomend that you use 35mm only rollers to run 35mm. I've seen the dual gauge rollers scratch many a 35mm print, mainly at the swivel rollers. The print scratches I saw were all done by "Professional Union Projectionists" in supposedly well attended single screen booths. Eventually the owner bought 35mm rollers to run 35mm film and the problems disappeared.

Mark

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-06-2004 10:39 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! Brad, I'll be sure to let yall know when a problem arises. [Razz]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2004 11:08 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will ad my voice too for switching the rollers to 35mm only types.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-07-2004 04:24 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everyone who says to switch to 35mm only rollers. Make sure each and every roller on the platter has a keeper as well (though on the return path at the top of the tree, it would be impossible since the roller is basically in mid-air). I literally had to drill and tap holes so I could install keepers, but once I did threading became quicker and easier and I never ever had to worry about the film falling off a roller if the AC suddenly turned on right over the machine, etc.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-07-2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again. [thumbsup]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-07-2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better solution keep the 35/70mm rollers and scrap the 35mm film and run only 70mm [Big Grin]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-07-2004 10:25 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now theres a plan!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: