Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question on Century Pressure Bands

Author Topic: Question on Century Pressure Bands
Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 08-05-2004 02:15 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to loosen these? Though they are set to it's minimum tension on the adjustment knob, they still feel pretty tight.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming the bands are new and assuming you have the 4" lens mount version SA check for .25" of clearance between the plate that the curved runner mounts to and the surface of the studio guide on the trap. Use the shank of a .25" drill bit to do this. If this clearance is set right the tension will be within spec. I usually find a Century produces the steadiest image with best focus at about 1 to 2 o'clock on the tension knob.
Hopefully you will have the correct clearance Clarence.

Mark @ CLACO

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-05-2004 07:28 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark:

Been quite a while since I played with that clearance on a Century, how is it reset? If I remember right, it was done by losening the setscrew holding the gate closing knob/spring assy and turning it slightly clockwise to unload the spring....hmmmm?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree? [Confused]

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 08-05-2004 08:30 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gate is where it is supposed to be. My question is how to further loosen the pressure bands on the trap, they feel very tight and un-springy even with the adjustment knob set at 12o'clock.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2004 09:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ethan,
There is something else wrong with the trap, perhaps a stuck top band attach arm or some crud causing the tension to be pulled only to one side. Sometimes those little attach arms at the top of the trap which are supposed to be able to pivot do get stuck and cause this. Also are both bands the same type and in good shape? New hopefully...... Take it apart and clean it well and re-assemble and see how it is then. A stuck attach arm is all I've ever seen that can cause this problem though. Be aware there are very small parts there, very small c-clips or snap rings depending on the vintage of the SA. his is work to do in a brightly lit area and on a work bench.

Tony,
To set the trap clearance you loosen up the four screws that hold the entire open/close assy(casting) to the main frame. Two screws on top and two below. The top screws are located immediately to the left of the lens eccentric adjustment. With the whole assy loose and the gate in the closed position slip in a .25" drill bit and then slide the whole assy back to clamp the drill bit in place. Tighten the screws up when its at that point and you're done. Double check that the top and bottom clearances are the same.

Mark @ CLACO

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-07-2004 01:32 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark: [beer]

Thanks!! It'll be helpful in the near future, just picked up a theatre to service with Century's and the guys around here had not a clue what to do.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: