Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Melbourne cinemas that use FilmGuard

Author Topic: Melbourne cinemas that use FilmGuard
Andrew Shingleton
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2004 11:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Shingleton   Email Andrew Shingleton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering which Melbourne (or even regional Victoria) cinemas are currently using FilmGuard, as I'd really like to see this stuff in action. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Jefferson
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2004 11:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Jefferson   Email Andrew Jefferson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyone in Australia? I wouldn't mind seeing it in action too!!!

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2004 08:17 AM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see the benefits first hand too.

Maybe we can talk Ray Derrick at Panalogic (the Australian Distributor of Film-Guard) into giving us a bottle or 10 to try [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2004 09:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually when you use it correctly you don't see anything in action..... that is the best part of it. Gives you a picture thats clear as a bell with no dist and even fills in minor base scratches. What more could you ask for.....? Just buy some(assuming you have the required KElmar Film Cleaner).

Mark @ CLACO

Andrew Shingleton
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2004 02:10 AM      Profile for Andrew Shingleton   Email Andrew Shingleton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone? This is a chance for a free ad for those that use it, because I'd bet that anyone who reads this forum and is even slightly curious will head over to your cinema to check it out!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-07-2004 02:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Mark said, you really don't see it "in action". You really notice it when you use it over time. You notice that your prints are no longer shedding, that everything is still perfectly clean, etc etc etc. I suggest you buy a bottle to try. Your theater can surely afford it. Hopefully someday it will be widespread enough so that un-Filmguarded presentations stand out like a sore thumb to customers.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2004 05:49 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melbourne I don't know about, but in Sydney there is the Randwick Ritz and the Valhalla in Glebe.

Notice that these two theatres are independents and that no big-name theatres have tried using FilmGuard yet. What does this tell us about large corporations? [Smile]

Vernon Cramer
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2004 09:39 AM      Profile for Vernon Cramer   Email Vernon Cramer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to controlling shedding and improving the image on screen, we've found Film Guard will reduce error rates on Dolby Digital tracks. We're a non-theatrical venue and never see a new print so we always run each show through a film cleaner with Film Guard. Consistently we will see the error rates drop with each pass through the cleaner (the most dramatic I recall was a drop from 7-F on the first show to 4-5 by the second show - the media looked like I'd used them to clean the axles on my van).

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, Andrew and Matthew.

I tried to email you guys, seems its been too long since I posted here.

Please email me and I will reply.
(please use FILMGUARD in the subject! Spam is outa control these days!)

Sorry for lack of information, but you will understand when I explain things.

Bill.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 12:34 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, (you know who you are - thanks for all the e-mails)
Most of you have been sent the 'document' I'll send everyone the finished version as soon as get TIME (see below) to work on the damned thing!

SOME REALLY GREAT NEWS, I spoke to the head tech at the company I
work for (you know which one) today, I was worried about mentioning the
'product' (like you guys are), incase I got another YOUR FIRED, but I went
for it anyway, and to my amazement, he has had thoughts of trying it out,
(I also work with his wife at the other cinema, where the 'product' is used,
as do most indepentants in Sydney)
but he's concerned of the cost of putting it into 1500, cant remember the
exact number, he could have said 3000 for all I know, he was in a hurry, and
I had films finishing everywhere and ads/trailers to drop-in/change. I never
got a chance to say, Hey lets just trial it, in cinema1, As I had to start
running around doing stuff, with him following/helping me, while I
explaining the benefits, most of which he knew, but the the best past, which
shocked him, and which I only read about on Film-Tech the other day (and I
hope its true), we were at cinema 14, and it was not laced up in time and
the automation went into breakdown mode, so we got it ready and ran in
manual mode, but the way its wired you cant simply hit SDR on CP, you have
to tell the CP via the (central) automation, but he goes "Oh, just leave it
in SR, look at the error rate 7-8-F" (mostly Fail), so I says this stuff
fixes SRD error rate, say from if your getting 6 or 7's it'll drop to 3-4.
His jaw dropped, and was impressed with that. As most of the cinemas use
basement readers (on Vic5's) and as well all know the penthouse version is
much better (why is that anyway!?) -He's also got some special new 'lens'
for the basement readers, but what I said about FG seemed to make him forget
about those!
As I said, I hope its true FG does indeed decrease the SRD error
thresh-hold. (Ive never really thought to check that at the other place, all
penhouse readers there and never really needed to worry error rates to point
of F)
Also I noticed on the forums the other week someone asking about, SRD tracks
in OZ getting high error rates, and the prints shreading more than usual
lately,
I did not reply, but we too have indeed being having that problem too. I
believe FG can fix both problems (well I know the shreading thing for FACT)

So there you go. Hope some of that makes sense, Its late, and Ive got shifts
coming out of my ass!
Gotta do backup after backup, with night, day/night double, day, day. double
Grrrrr Oh ,but the pay check!
Two people at two locations going an 5 weeks holidays, another persons wife
gave birth, so he's out there for 2 weeks.
(Oh and who can't work cause he wants to watch the opening ceremony, but I
won't mention your name will I BRETT)

With that in in mind, I wont be able complete and send the 'document' until
at least Tuesday 17th or later (Parts of what is here will be included.)
To those who I have not sent it to yet, I will when it's completed.

Now the reason the Tech was in a hurry, he is due at the Conference in
Queensland today. Hopefully he will bring the subject up there.

If we even get the product a trial, at a major that will be cool, and Ray
will get to sell more than 4 bottles a year!!!
(And Brad will be even richer:)

Sorry about the typos, spelling and grammar, I NEED sleep.

Later Dudes take care,
Bill

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 07:20 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys
When we first purchased our Cinema some 18 months ago Brain-wraps where a common event and you had to clean the build-up on the gates at the end of every show.I can remember standing next to platters ready to stop the print binding together and jamming in the brain.Since we used Filmguard(about 6-8 months) we have had one brainwrap which was caused by a print we received that had a damaged edge in one section,and static electricity on the prints is non-existant.We run every new print through the cleaner when it is made up and normally that is all it will get for it's duration with us,unless we see any signs of needing more cleaning.You definitely don't have to run the print through the cleaner every time.If you have a really scratched print more runs through the cleaner may be an advantage.Our projectors and gates stay a heap cleaner,it is rare now to remove a gate and to see anything on the gate that needs cleaning.We have a 3 cinema complex and we purchased one cleaning unit that we have mounted on the MUT where we make all new prints.If we need to clean a print a second time we run it back onto the MUT and run it through the cleaner the next time we show it.You can wash and clean the media rolls for reuse and you do have to be carefull to get an even distribution of F/G through the media roll so the cleaning process is uniform for the full length of the print.It is easy to use too much F/G and it ain't cheap at around $100AUST a bottle.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: