Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Okay, this Thursday is going to be Fun (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Okay, this Thursday is going to be Fun
Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I don't know about alot of you, but I work for a small independant movie thatre company, we have a 1 screen, and a 3 screen theatre. Just yesterday, I saw the line up for the following week, and it's looks good, but it also looks bad.

On Thursday, it's going to be a 2 movie tear down, and build up. That's not so bad, but building is the small problem. There is really only one good building platter due to the fact that one dosen't work, and the other is in the dark, leaving only one for building. And to top it off, I am schedualed to work the Box Office.

This week, we are getting Collateral, and Catwoman. Gotta Say that I want to see Collateral, but Catwoman looks like a bad movie. The more that I watched the previews, the more that it just didn't appeal to me.

Anyways, that's going to be my delema for Thursday.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-03-2004 01:27 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a scheduling problem to me. You should just be doing booth only, at least on Thursday's. Then it wouldnt be so bad on you. Good luck.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 01:35 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just forget about building Catwoman. Place the box of film out in the lobby and discuss the box with patrons. I think that's all of that movie that patrons need to "see."

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 04:10 PM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do most of the film work at our five-plex, and I usually have to build one or two prints on Thursday and break down one or two as well. But in addition to changing our marquee (a real pain in the ass), posters, and recording, I don't have to worry about much else.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-03-2004 04:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Whine, whine, whine. I've had to put 8 prints together on a Thursday night with multiple breakdowns, and that was with proper full hand inspections too. It's not that hard.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
three words: Goldberg platter reel!

Seriously though, I regualr do 8-12 print buld up and the same number of tear downs each week. No biggie.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 08-03-2004 04:50 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked for my 3-screen $1.50 theater my worst was 7 builds and 8 breakdowns. Yeah, we had about 1 showing of each movie a day...it was interesting. [Smile]

So to quote Brad...
quote: Brad Miller
Whine, whine, whine.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-03-2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is this in Yak? Moving to FHF! (Actually this could probably go to Ground Level, too... damn... where to move it? Must...move...it...ahh oh well.)

Also, if on any given week the film work is too much, simply don't finish. The studios are very understanding. [evil]

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 08:24 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww,

When I was running Bollywood movies on Wednesday nights, the guy with the film would show up at about the same time the customers would.... I'd build it, run it, break it down and send it on it's way. All in the course of about 3.5hrs.
--chris

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-04-2004 12:16 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with Brad on this one, Thomas.

Once had to build a print WHILE IT WAS BEING PROJECTED FOR THE FIRST SHOW!! [Mad] It arrived five minutes before showtime and thanks to the funky Potts platter and MUT I was able to think of a solution. [Big Grin]

I'm willing to bet that quite a few of you figure out how I did it. [beer]

Part of the fun (I'm not being sarcastic) of this gig is getting the show on RIGHT no matter what management, the equipment, nature or delivery guys throw at you.

May I suggest a desk lamp or drop light for your dark platter? [Smile]

Keep smiling and you'll run with the best!

(Edited for spelling, yikes!)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2004 12:17 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done that once on a LP270 SPECO with the old wooden mut. I don't recommend it, but it does work.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-04-2004 12:19 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sympathies, Brad! [beer]

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2004 12:39 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Thursday we have 2 break downs and 2 makups, and we only have one platter and minimal staff. I guess I am probably going to have to go in and help... [Frown]

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2004 01:19 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
I'm willing to bet that quite a few of you figure out how I did it.

Run directly from one side of the MUT to the payout platter and unwind the end of the reel like a mofo in time to splice the next reel from the other side of the MUT?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-04-2004 01:24 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you only have one platter. Do you have a make up bench and 60 minute reels. If so make up the film on 60 minute reels and run it on the platter then move it to where it needs to go. Better yet, if your projecters have a reel spindle on the top that a 60 minute reel can be put on put the movie to gether on 60's and run it on while screening it stopping it at the end of the first reel splicing the second 60 on and running that half through. I have done this before at the old theater I worked at back in the 80's.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: