Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Suggestion for Projection & Sound system

Author Topic: Suggestion for Projection & Sound system
Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2004 01:32 PM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear all we are opening a new theatre of 4 plex.
I would like to take your suggestion for good projection & sound system in which you have really enjoyed the real movie experience.

How does combined reader of Dolby Digital & Dolby SR works?

Considering the quality should i go for Cat702 & a Kelmar Dolby SR reader or a Combined reader?

Your suggestion for amplifier?

Suggestion for Digital Crossover?

Processor we have planed for CP650D & a DTS6D.

Projection we are confused between Strong Millennium Model PR 2000 Console with Simplex 35 Projector head & Christie SLC45/70-34Z, Xenon Console with P35GPSLZ-AT,Projector Head.Your suggestion in this model will be appreciated.

Thank You Very Much.
Peter.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-02-2004 04:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I would use a Kinoton or Ernamann Projection packages with a base soundsystem of Panastereo CSP processors, and DTS XD10's and CP650 for amps I lean towards QSC
But there are a lot of parameters of the projected would be needed before anyone could provide any anwsers and also a big item is a local parts source/repair center

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 10:30 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sir some projector spares are not avilable in our local market.

Any other suggestion Please.

Thanks.

[ 08-17-2004, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Peter John Anthony. C ]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-03-2004 12:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monee or Cinecitta would probably be the safest for a supply of spares and factory service

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-03-2004 03:27 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monee and Vikas handle Kinoton...it is a shame if they did not have spares for service.

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2004 10:30 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wear & tear of parts are very fast.I have no experience of Cinecita.

Any more advice,

Thanks.

[ 08-17-2004, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Peter John Anthony. C ]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-04-2004 11:00 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinecita and Poly Devices make Century clones on demand....Monee is the only Indian company producing on a regular basis. When we used to import Monee we would work on the intermittents, replace gear fastening screws with high grade allen type and change to invertor motor drive to preserve the gear train. Kinoton and Cinemeccanica is in your market. Photophone P-35 with the new style gate and turret is also a very good machine in your market.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-04-2004 11:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all your government restrictions on importing and getting parts I would advise you to build the stereo systems with the simplest, most reliable components, and above all what ever you use has to be very field servicable at component level. You should have alot less trouble getting just the electronic components in India. So that means analog processing. Consider some high quality analog x-over units that could easily be repaired by a local service tech or build simpler systems around speakers with passive x-overs, JBL 4675 for instance. Passive systems can also be of extremely high quality. A dead digital x-over would have to go back to the factory in many cases for repair and your screen would be down for quite some time, even a simple RXO replacement boarsd could take much longer to get then a simple I.C. or transistor.
This is the same thing you are fearing if you buy and have to wait for foreign made projector parts. In your case keeping the systems simple is to your advantage. Use analog processors with outboard digital SR or DTS processors feeding it. The BACP SRD reader is the best penthouse version for srd, the kinoton for basement. The BACP analog is the best analog unit. The BACP analog and digital scanners are the only ones to have a user replacable LED assembly and both have the longest LED life by running the led at lower current than any of the other units being made today.
The other choice if you do insist on going all digital is to buy a spare of every unit that goes into the plex. Spare CP650, spare readers, spare amps, spare digital x-overs, etc. Although expensive its still possibly less expensive then loosing the income from one screen for a week.

I couldn't see using an American made projector in India at all because of restrictions. Parts could take for ever to get there or could end up on back order. Stick with the locally made stuff or something made closer to home...European made stuff. Or stock a huge spare parts inventory there.

Mark @ CLACO

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2004 08:26 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much Sir for your Suggestion.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: