Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Telecines (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Telecines
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-02-2004 04:45 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How exactly do they work to transfer film to analog and digital video signals?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-02-2004 05:30 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Telecines used to be based on studio video camera technology, using vidicon or plumbicon tubes (e.g., RCA TK27).

Rank (Cintel) and Kodak pioneered the use of flying spot scanner technology for high-end telecines, which allowed continuous-motion gentle handling of film negatives. The Thomson Spirit DataCines use Kodak technology for their illumination and scanning system, using special line-array CCDs. Sony and Imagica have area array CCD telecines.

http://www.thomsongrassvalley.com/news/2003/20030912-sortzz-IBC_Spirt_4K.html

quote:
The new Grass Valley Spirit 4K high-performance film scanner specifically targets the rapidly growing digital intermediate market by improving scanning technology in a number of key areas. Its new dual-mode high-speed scanning capability offers RGB 2K scanning at up to 30 frames per second (fps) and 4K scanning—which is seen by many as the future of high-quality digital film post—at up to almost 8 fps. Both 16mm and 35mm film gauges and a wide variety of formats are supported. Support for 65mm, 70mm, and Super 8mm will be released in the near future...

As with the acclaimed Grass Valley Spirit DataCine, the optical and imaging subsystems have been developed with Thomson by Eastman Kodak. This provides diffuse illumination to minimize the effects of surface scratches and dust. Optical film matching and optical gain control are also included, and the lens gates include filter drawers for "in-camera" effects.

Image capture is by custom-designed, dual-array CCDs, offering native 2K and 4K resolution. The CCD output is converted to 16-bit digital signal processing for unmatched quality. Facilities include RGB color correction, with the ability to connect third-party secondary color processors into the internal signal path. The internal scaling engine provides a 4K-for-2K mode which benefits from 4K oversampling to eliminate aliasing and other artifacts. The data outputs use the Gigabyte System Network (GSN) interface which comfortably supports real-time 2K transfers.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-02-2004 11:06 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-17-2004 06:52 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In PAL-land, where there is no need for the 3:2 pulldown, intermittant projector style telecine equipment went out for broadcast use long ago. The only place I ever actually saw it was at the studios of the Innner London Education Authority, for whom I worked at the time. I had to visit their studios once. They had bought a lot of ex. broadcast black and white equipment when they set up their television service. They were also the only people I know who used the half speed option on 2" Quad tape, on Ampex VR2000 I think it was. I can't remember what cameras they were using.

Flying spot machines were the standard for many years; take a look at the Cintel section on this site: http://www.bbctv-ap.co.uk/bbctvp1.htm Scroll down to 'Contents', and then select item 3. Anybody who has seen the 'Elephant's foot' version of the Kalee 21 projector will recognise the top spool box on this thing. Also, the general styling is rather similar.

Michael, are you familiar with the Mechau projector? The BBC at one time used machines based on this for both telecine and film recording. There's a lot of interesting stuff on this site.

The original 1936 studios at Alexandra Palace still exist, the BBC finally moved out in the '80s, and most of that area is now derelict, and unsafe, though one of the studios is sometimes opened to visitors, it's tiny.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 08:06 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about going in the other direction, i.e. from TV source to Film. All those wonderful advertisments that play before the previews in most large theatre chains. God I hate those things.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 09:13 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Video to Film, I'd imagine they are printed to film using the ArriLaser process.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-17-2004 10:02 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The older style system for telecine like was used in tv stations airing film directly usually had several projectors beaming into the camera with selection made via a mirror multiplexer which had first-surface mirrors that could flip up or down quickly for on air changes between machines or slide to film etc. The camera didn't look anything like a regular camera, more like a large square cabinet with a hole in the side where the image beamed in. Internally it was just like a standard camera just not as crammed together. Lens. Color separating prism. Three camera tubes with deflection yokes.

The modern telecine systems are generally of two types: Flying spot scanners or CCD. From the outside they look similar, like this Rank which, IIRC is a flying spot canner.

-

A flying spot scanner contains a little monochrome CRT (picture tube). A raster is scanned on the tube. That is, a scanning pattern without any picture, just white. This is focused onto the film via an optical system. The flying spot refers to the spot of light the electron beam paints onto the CRT phosphor screen...it's only one tiny point at any given time...thus the film is being scanned with light. After the film it's no longer an image...just varying levels of light and an optical system relays this to a color disecting prism and photomultipliers or other light pickup.

By changing the size or shape of the raster on the CRT it is possible to zoom into the film, de-anamorphose Scope images, pan & scan etc. with no loss of resolution, at least not on the electronic side.

The other system uses CCD chips like you have in a camera except these are typically a single line with the second dimension coming from the motion of the film. Scan the film into a frame store memory as it rolls by then at the other end crank out the data in whatever arrangement you need (such as 2:1 interlaced normal video). Light source. Film. Optics. Prism. CCD chips for red, blue, green. Just like a camera except for the one dimension aspect.

Bosch once experimented with adding an extra CCD for infra-red. It would pick up little to no image on color film (the dyes being transparent to IR). Any spots seen would have to be dirt and therefore it would know to conceal it by replacing with an average of adjacent pixels. I don't know if it was ever marketed.

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 11:35 PM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Lacheur
Video to Film, I'd imagine they are printed to film using the ArriLaser process.
The Arri laser is regarded as the best way to do this (digital to film transfer - or film recording). This is also the final stage of the Digital Intermediate process, used by an increasing number of feature productions, and invariably used for digital effects if not the entire film.

However there are other systems: Celco and others use the slightly older CRT process where each frame of the image is scanned out on a monchrome CRT in very high resolution, very slowly (to minimise the size of the dot), one colour at a time (exposing through R, G & B filters in succession).

These are both used for high resolution digital recording and can also be used for transferring from standard TV resolution - such as for the pre-show commercials mentioned. Usually some digital enhancement and improvements are often used.

Other "kine" processes are more like a camera pointing straight at a real-time high resolution monitor displaying a video image. These systems are only for transfer from SD video.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 01:20 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the magic word is...KINESCOPE!

--jhawk

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2004 08:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JHawk......
Kinescopes are now considered to be obsolete by the electroics industry and you will see them disappear very rapidly over the next several years.

MArk

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 09:23 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let us be clear here: The word kinescope specifically refers to a CRT picture tube such as used for television and computer displays. Kinescopes (picture tubes) are a subset of CRT's which also include oscilloscope type displays, old style camera tubes, etc. Kinescope was originally a trademark.

Kinescope in J-Hawk's context refers to film shot off the face of a CRT. I suppose hypothetically output from a CELCO or similar film recorder could be called a kinescope but typically it refers to the old B&W footage shot in real time back in the days before videotape. I don't think anyone would want to use a conventional dot mask color CRT for kinescope filming (which is not to say it hasn't been done) but it is possible to use 3 monochrome CRT's (with appropriate color phosphor or color filters) and combine the images with mirrors so color can be shot real time.

I know NBC News and maybe the other US tv network news organizations preserved news footage even from the videotape / ENG era on film. Sometimes this footage is aired and has a peculiar video to film to video look. I wonder if this was tranferrred with some sort of real time kinescope arrangement.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2004 09:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
What you have seen is more than likely a direct kinescope recording. There were many of these eystems all over the world before the advent of video tape resorders. They do have a strange look to them and the cameras used were also strange.
 -

Some systems had the processing machine located right after the kinescope recorder(camera) and the films were immediately processed and the cameras re-loaded to record the next TV show or news footage. Large TV stations had entire Kinescope Recording departments. Many of the people in them were later trained to operate Video Tape machines.

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're talking about the old stuff; I'm talking about color footage that originated on tape and is preserved on film, presumably 16mm.

There was something in SMPTEJ once about a system, German I think, that kinescoped a live feed, reversal processed it, projected it, and washed off the emulsion and recoated it, all in a big endless loop.

Nice kinescope camera + sound recorder you show there. I wonder if that is a small sprocket after the lower loop but before the sound drum or just some sort of impedance roller. The sound part is probably standard Photophone with light source, mirror galvo over on the right and various optics.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2004 02:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a 1940's Acme TV recording camera in the picture. Presumably that is also a standard VA RCA galvo on the back. They also did this in 35mm format as well.

While there may have been a system devised by the Germans like what you described(who else would do something so ludricous?) I doubt that it had any real market penetration, probably none over here at all. What you saw more likely would have been used for an early method of standards conversion. And it probably would be one of these films that you happened to see. Electronic standards convertors have existed since the early 70's although they were megabucks back then and the output quality was dubious at best. The film standards converter may have actually done a better job back then!!

Alot of old video tape was transfered to later video tape formats when it was deemed necessary to preserve it or for wide re-play again. But you'd be surprised how much 2" quad tape is still stored in temperature controled vaults that'll play back just fine on the right equipment. Today most of all important video tape has been digitized for posterity in some manner.

Mark @ CLACO

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-18-2004 03:44 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the '60s, the BBC still had some fairly ancient Cintel telecine equipment, though not as old as that on the site that I linked to. I also saw, disused in a museum, a machiine which had been converted to colour at some time during its life, with new solid state electronics replacing the original valves. don't know how common these conversions were. These machines must have also been converted to 625 lines, or been built as dual, or triple, or quad, standard, as they were certainly old enough to have been in use in 405 line days.

In 1974 (I think) visited the then newly opened studios of London Weekend television, on the South Bank in London. A lot of material was still being transmitted direct from film at that time. I don't know what make theiir equipment was, but they were vertical machines, bult into a 19" rack cabinet, or something of simlar size. They looked something like the studio versions of the Kinoton projectors. They had separate machines for 16mm and 35mm. On my next visit to the BBC, in the '80s, they were using Cintel Mk. 3 machines. They have an in-house built 9.5mm gate. By this time live transmission from telecine was on its way out. All of this equipment was flying spot.

Do television studios still have their own telecine departments, or is it all contracted out to facilities houses now?

As for film recordng, two early types of BBC equipment are shown on the site I linked to. The BBC were quite late getting iinto video tape, I think they bought their first Ampex Quad machines in 1962; most studio productions at that time went out live, and no recording was made of most of them. What recording there was was on film. Because the whole of Britain is in the same time zone, they didn't have the need to record for time-shifting purposes, as existed elsewhere. Before going for the Ampex machines thed did experiment with a system of their own, known as 'VERA'. It was a linear recording system wth large spools of tape.

In the '80s Rank had a laser reconding system for 16mm colour film. The results were quite good.

The BBC were making 16mm film recordings of their programmes for export purposes, for many years, but I don't know what technology was uses. Some of the 'lost' programmes have been restored from film copies whiich had been found in overseas vaults.

A couple of sites dealing with the Dr. Who restorations:

http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Lot/8256/landf.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: