Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xetron Wall mount film transport (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Xetron Wall mount film transport
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for any information on the wall mount film transport like pictured here. I am looking for one to mount in my projection truck I am building so if anyone can help with information and a location of one please let me know.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-01-2004 10:38 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't it called WALT?

Gregory N. Jones
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2004 08:55 AM      Profile for Gregory N. Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Gregory N. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is correct in that it was called the WALT - XWT-35 film transport. These were produced way before my time and up until 2002 we had zero info about this system in our archives. A fellow named Mike Suttkus was nice enough to send us the manual for this machine (dated August 1982) but I wouldn't know where one is currently operating. I know most of the parts used on it were from the old XNR platter and most of those parts are obsolete now. If anyone is interested in the manual, drop me an e-mail and I will forward it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-02-2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Interested in hosting it on our manuals page for future reference as people come across those in the field.

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 08-02-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Greg,

I would like to have a copy of this manual if at all possible [Big Grin]
and I'm sure you will be hearing from Fitz very shortly, as we were just talking about that a few nights ago.

Many Thanks to Mr Suttkus for taking time to dig this gem out!!! [thumbsup]

Take care!

Erick

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2004 10:30 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erick you are right I emailed him earlier tonight to see if I could get the manual. United Artists had them in some of their theaters and I have the feeling they just might still be hanging in some of them and I am hoping they want to get them off the wall and will contact me to take them off their hands. Well I can always hope. [thumbsup]

Peter Schoell
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2004 10:41 PM      Profile for Peter Schoell   Email Peter Schoell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning to add a screen and the space available for a booth is very small. I was planning to cut down a CFS platter to about 40", but this 2 reel rig would even more space efficient. I had thought about building something like this too. If the WALT units still exist, buying would be better.
If you run across 2, please let me know.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2004 09:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An EPRAD Double Mut is a far better solution and easily movable between booths, and very compact. The Double Mut has servo feed on both sides making payout and take up really, really nice and easy on both film and projector. They are no longer made but used ones can be had by checking around various dealers used inventory. Best part is the use of all off the shelf parts which can still be had easily. Just about all of the Sundance Film Festivals 35mm entries are run from Double Muts because it allows more flexibility in moving things around to various locations. The Double Mut was originally designed for use in 3-strip Cinerama presentations.

Mark @ CLACO

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2004 09:32 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had thought of the double Mut but for the use in my truck I think if I can find the WALT unit t would be a better use for me. My overall inside truck size is 7 feet wide by 14 feet long so space is a preminum.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2004 10:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I was doing the type of showings that you will be doing I would stick with something that is known to work reliably. Reliable equipment is the first priority, which is also why I question using the Bauers. So far no one here has any known experience with the WALT. You could call Big Sky and talk to Mark Smith about it. He was at Xetron during the WALT time frame. I don't think many were sold though.

Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-05-2004 10:21 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eprad did sell a version of the dblmut called the Wall Mut that layout style is what you are looking for

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2004 10:43 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They had this setup when they brought The Passion to show it on-campus in the arena. It was done by CineVision. My question is, is this a REAL double-mut, or something else rigged to work like one? It just didn't look "sound" to me, and it snapped the film at the tail when the show was over:

Side View:
 -

Front View:
 -

It always looked like the thing was going to tip over and come crashing down at any moment.

=TMP=

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2004 10:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, thats a real Double Mut. Mever seen one tip over, they're pretty heavy.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-05-2004 11:16 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never saw one snap a print either they are very gentle even saw one running with the reels on the wrong side once with no issues
It was also available in a 70mm version
I converted a Sword over to 35/70 and put a prevost favorite 3/70 head on it for a theatre that had a tower on each screen of the twin drivein and a platter at the indoor so prints could travel back and forth with minimum hassles
pictures are in the warehouse under century theatre

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2004 11:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't really tell from the pics, but the double-mut was leaning a bit towards the payout side. Maybe due to an uneven floor? The break-in-question happened just before the blue ratings band, during the last bit of credits. The tail was not taped to the hub, either.

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: