Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Digital Pre-show Technology

Author Topic: Digital Pre-show Technology
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 03:05 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am designing an application for digital pre-show, and looking for advice.

I am designing a legitimate application that will tack on a one minute feed of third party digital content to the tail end end of a digital pre-show presentation (i.e. 2wenty, NCN’s digital pre-show, etc.). This one minute clip of content will not be transmitted along with the screen advertiser’s content, rather it will be transmitted separately via satellite, and play just prior to the trailers and feature presentation. Every time a digital pre-show plays in the theater this one minute clip will be transmitted.

If money was no object, how would you do it?

I was thinking of wiring a separate “black box” to the theater’s digital projector(s), that would route the satellite feed and “hold” it until the moment the pre-show ended. Using some sort of cueing (or automation) system, the moment the pre-show ends the one minute clip is projected.

Has anybody got any ideas on this?

[ 07-31-2004, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Gary Davidson ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-31-2004 03:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Per site rules, no "teaser" subject handles are permitted. Please edit your post and choose a more descriptive title or this thread will be deleted.

Also, use upper and lower case letters like everyone else please.

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 05:07 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Brad. Hope this looks okay.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 06:59 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've seen at AMC, the digital pre-show is clipped whenever the show starts. So, couldn't you just install a switcher that will switch the video projector over to the 1 minute feed right before the trailers run.

Digital pre-show sucks, looks like an old faded print and why should I sit through commercials after paying $8.50 to see a movie [fu]

just thought I throw that out there [Wink]

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edward,

Thanks for the thought. And I agree with you about pre-show as it stands now... it's basically an insult to the audience in most theaters.

Could elaborate in a little more detail on what you're proposing in regard to my question?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-01-2004 10:55 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There may be some intellectual property (IP) here --- be sure you are not violating it. [Roll Eyes]

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/digital/contentManagement.jhtml?id=0.1.4.22.8&lc=en

quote:
Kodak encodes the content in the MPEG2 format (or accepts encoded content), adds the associated instructions to create a playlist, then packages and distributes everything to the designated cinema— where it’s automatically staged to the right auditorium screens, and/or to flat panels, lobby monitors, and other displays.

And, in accordance with the terms between ad suppliers and exhibitors, Kodak provides secure access to a Kodak-hosted Web site for verification that your inventory has been received—and played—according to the terms of your sales agreements.

Because the physical mastering, duplication, mailing, mounting, traying, and splicing of materials are eliminated, there are fewer chances for mistakes or the need to replace damaged material...

Now you can work with the world leader in imaging, able to prepare and distribute your inventory electronically, so you can react more rapidly to late—developing opportunities such as weekend festivals, sports competitions, or other fast-approaching local or regional events.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: