Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » rewiring the Bauer U2 base

Author Topic: rewiring the Bauer U2 base
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 10:08 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am almost ready to start installing the Bauer's in my truck I am going to use for my portable booth. I understand that someone out there came up with a major modification of the wiring of them. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to pass this information along to me please.
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-31-2004 04:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why change them at all? Don't you just love all the relays and unnecessary stuff they threw in there just for the heck of it. Makes troubleshooting a breeze doesn't it? Looks more like Bauer was cleaning out the warehouse and the engineers were ordered by the Gestapo to include all the unnecessary relays and stuff just to cover up the huge over-stock of them that was found in the warehouse.

Actually, you have to deal with starting up a drive motor and a take up motor a the same time. I'd use an eddy current motor for take up that can be turned on just before you would start the drive motor as is used on a dubber. The projector drive motor MUST be slow started, 4 to 5 sec runup, so you don't strip the gear train to shreds!! There are fragile gears in the Bauer just as there are in the Simplex(all Simplexs for that matter) and they are very expensive If they are available any longer. The rubber motor drive coupling is another trouble spot.

Now that I think of it....My god! Whay would you use these for portable shows in the first place? Thats insane! They are heavier then DP-70s! Put good shocks on that truck!

You'd do alot better with a just Century!

Mark @ CLACO

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 10:42 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I guess the first reason I am using them is they were given to me for free along with many boxes of spare parts. Second I want the 70mm capability in the truck. Third I love my Bauers I ran them at the Uptown Theatre for years both as a projectionist there and when I was the owner of the theater. The truck I am using is a 1968 chevy panel truck that was used as a county library truck and it has dual 20 inch wheels on it. I figure I am going to be putting somewhere around 3000 pounds into the truck so I will be ok

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-01-2004 12:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
I like em too but that doesn't mean I'd use them for portable work.

Mark

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2004 12:27 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see your point but when you have to start somewhere and these are better than nothing. They will be permanemt mounted in the truck and I am going to use a type of truck bracing bars to hold them in place when we are moving. I am also going to have 16mm as well as a video projector I am looking at the Sanyo PLV-WF10 I think it was any thoughts on that.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2004 04:53 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Looks more like Bauer was cleaning out the warehouse and the engineers were ordered by the Gestapo to include all the unnecessary relays and stuff just to cover up the huge over-stock of them that was found in the warehouse.
Hm, when the U2 came out, the Gestapo was history for more than a decade, so it must have been either CIA or MI6 who gave that order. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: