Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby processors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Dolby processors
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2004 09:15 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of pure curiosity, I've been looking on Dolby's website for info on previous models, but I can only find the CP45 and the 650. Is there a comparison chart somewhere that lists the features and differences between all of their processors?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-30-2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no one comparison chart for the entire history of Dolby processors. The CP650 and CP45 are the only current models so they are the only ones they are selling.

Steve

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2004 08:27 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am aware that those are the only two current processors. I am merely curious as to the features of previous processors, and what each one introduced that its predecessor lacked.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-30-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am aware of your curiosity but from what I read of your post...you were wondering if Dolby had a posting or something in writing listing a comparision of all of their processors, past and present.

Dolby has no such document that I am aware of.

However, there are many discussions on all of the various processors that one may use to obtain such information.

I believe the order of introduction of Dolby processors was:

364/E2: (two single space units...one was noise reduction, the other an equalizer)

CP-100: 1st full-fledged processor and in many ways a marvel of design though when fully equipped could get ungangly.

CP-50: An "economy" processor designed to mate in with existing 4-track systems or as a stand alone optical-only processor.

CP-200: Introduced in 1980 as a replacement to the CP-100 as the full-fledged processor and truely a marvel of design and forthought.

CP-55: (I believe it deputed in 1985) as a replacement to the CP-50. It was a stand alone processor that mated with modern automations much more easily.

There was a CP1000 system in around here but I don't know if it ever made it into production anywhere...definately not in the states

CP-65: I believe it came out around 1992 or so and ushered in the SR-D system with its mate, the DA-10. Essentially an improved CP-55 with onboard Dolby SR while only giving up parking slots for spare optical preamp and power regulator.

CP500: Dolby's testing of the waters in the digital age...essentially replaced the CP200 as 70mm was falling by the wayside as the full-fledged processor. It was a hybrid of analog and digital. I wanna say it came out in 1995.

CP45: Appropriately given a lower number than the CP50 and is the bargain basement processor...for what reason, I don't know. Costs much more than "value priced" equipment from other manufacturers and has less features...just the Dolby badge. All of its features need to have astrisks next to them....like "*Dolby-SR" *"SR" decoder is not real SR just a low-cost imitation. "*EQ" * only has partial 2/3rds octave EQ with bass and treble...etc.

CP650: Essentially replaces the CP500 as the full-fledged processor and is fully digital.

That is the chronology of the Dolby cinema processors (not accessories and add-ons and adapters.....etc...I'm sure someone will feel the need to spout off abou them too but I didn't get from your statement those were included).

Sorry to ramble on the CP45...I wasn't really trying to give the feature sets of all of the units...just to cover what the time frame was for them.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-30-2004 09:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
There was a CP1000 system in around here but I don't know if it ever made it into production anywhere...definately not in the states
United Artists had at least one of the CP1000s in use in southern Texas. I remember seeing the rack when they brought it into Dallas for storage. It could've been a demo thing though.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-30-2004 09:53 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a chronology on the Dolby website where you can see when each of the processors was introduced. There is only a short comment on each, but you can take the chronology as a basis, then look into the individual manuals. To compare them, it's best to look at the individual cards and see where they are different.
I don't remember the 1000 mentioned anywhere though.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-30-2004 11:06 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve G. has got it right on the button. The CP1000 was based on a CP55 with a black door and OEM power amplifiers in a wall mount rack. That's about all there was to it. We sold quite few, perhaps a 100 in the US, most of them to UA. Ed Glenn never could resist a bargain.

Strangely, in the usual British tradition, they only made the rack big enough for the contents, not even enough room for the SRA5 SR adaptor. It was sold mainly in Europe and had a short life.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 04:42 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP1000 has been mentioned already in the forum. I sent Brad a picture from a Dolby brochure back then. here it is again:

-

C.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 07:32 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Sam said, the CP1000 was a 'turn key' system. I think it had a CP55 (with a black as opposed to the more usual grey door), monitor panel and a 4 channels of amplification (these may well have been Westrex), so in essence it's a CP55 doing the work.

There were a fair few of them round these parts, but these days the CP55's have all been removed from the racks and installed with better amps, SRA5 etc, etc. Easily spotted by the black door.

British tradition? I think it'd be fair to say that any of my racks have loads of space for expansion. I know what you mean though, a lot of the old Westrex (yellow) and Sound Associates (blue) racks had just enough room for what was in there when it left the factory. I don't think there many of those left in service now.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 08:34 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recognize the middle component, the CP55. I assume the panel below it is the amplifiers? What is the top component?

quote: Steve Guttag
All of its features need to have astrisks next to them....like "*Dolby-SR" *"SR" decoder is not real SR just a low-cost imitation.
I don't get it. Why would Dolby's own product not use true Dolby SR? And what's the difference?

BTW, is there a way to modify or upgrade a CP55 for SR? I asked my tech and he said ours have not been modified in any way, whic I pretty much already figured he was going to say because of the Cat. 222 NR module. Also, some have a Cat. 222, some have a Cat. 222/A. What's the difference?

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 08:47 AM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pete Naples
I know what you mean though, a lot of the old Westrex (yellow) and Sound Associates (blue) racks had just enough room for what was in there when it left the factory. I don't think there many of those left in service now.
I have two of the blue Sound Associates wall mounted racks still in daily use since 1994. They will hold a CP (65 in our case), two power amps, a monitor panel, and another 2U component, such as induction loop controller or non-sync source. Both are being ripped out next week and replaced with freestanding racks for SRD!

There was a CP1000 at the Odeon Salisbury (don't know if it's still there) but with QSC amps in place of the original. Isn't there a monitor speaker in the top unit?

Dan

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-31-2004 09:15 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 amplifiers - obviously the CP1000 package did not have the OBE. The thing on top is apparently a monitor with buttons to select channels/amplifiers 1-4. What are the other buttons and dials on the top left for?

> There are instructions in the manuals section on how to upgrade to SR using the Cat.222 SR/A module.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-31-2004 09:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
I don't get it. Why would Dolby's own product not use true Dolby SR? And what's the difference?

BTW, is there a way to modify or upgrade a CP55 for SR? I asked my tech and he said ours have not been modified in any way, whic I pretty much already figured he was going to say because of the Cat. 222 NR module. Also, some have a Cat. 222, some have a Cat. 222/A. What's the difference?

The fake SR (aka Cat 222SR/A has been discused to death in other threads...so some searches. As to why...when you are building a low-cost model, you don't put in your most expensive piece.

To upgrade a CP-55 for SR...you have the cheesy option of using the dreaded Cat. 222 "SR"/A (a relatively easy mod though costs a bunch) or you can find an SRA-5 used, find an USL SRM-10 (used) and load it with Cat. 280s or in the new category, purchase the Panastereo SR35...probably the best option at this time.

The Cat. 222A is an updated version of the Cat. 222 that fell victim to semiconductor obsolescense. Functionally, it is identical to the previous, non-suffixed, version. I can't recall if they implimented the feature that no LEDs are lit if the signal is too low, like on the 222 SR/A...the original Cat. 222 would light its lower red LEDs on each channel even if no signal was present.

Steve

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-31-2004 10:40 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the processor component of the CP1000 labeled CP55 or CP1000? We all know it's a 55 in there but if it's actually labeled 55 not 1000 then CP1000 is just a misnamed pre-wired rack system containing a CP55. Which, of course, it truly is, but at least if it's called CP1000 we can pretend it's a CP that happens to give power level outputs. Just semantics, yes.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 03:36 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like every time one question gets answered, two more get raised. I did a little searching on this site for "222SR/A." My CP-500's have those cards. So are you telling me that they are not producing "true" SR? Why would Dolby do that? Let me guess, it's cheaper, right? What is the Cat. 350, and how does it work?

I browsed through the 222SR/A manual. It says that the card is for upgrading the CP55 and 65 for SR. I thought the 65 included SR out of the box?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: