Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AM-8 parts: order from Kelmar or Christie

Author Topic: AM-8 parts: order from Kelmar or Christie
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-27-2004 10:52 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know. My dealer will tell me. But I just wanted to finish the paperwork tonight. I am talking about some switches. Do you order these from Kelmar using the part numbers from the switch reference document on their website, or from Christie?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-27-2004 11:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From neither..... Just buy them locally and save big! Its all common stuff on those units. Look at the bad switch and get the manufacturers part number. No part number... just take the bad switch to your local electronics parts supplier and have him match it up.

Mark @ CLACO
(Eating my way back across Nevada!)

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-27-2004 11:57 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I knew you would say that!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-28-2004 12:01 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who in their right mind wouldn't say that?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-28-2004 12:08 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For instance somebody who is taking care of a whole cinema chain during the busy summer season and doesn't have time to drive around to parts dealers` shops.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-28-2004 12:16 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Order a catalog.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-28-2004 12:25 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea. I already have a few. Let's see what the Grainger catalog says.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-28-2004 09:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Common now, I take care of five times as many screens over a four state area myself and still have the time to BS here on F-T.
Getting to know Joe and Ed at the local parts house counter can make your job alot easier.
Mark @ CLACO

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-28-2004 12:28 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newark Electronics:

http://www.newark.com

quote:
Browse our catalog
1. Passive Components 6. Power Products
2. Semis & Prototyping 7. Interconnect & Wire/Cable
3. Optoelectronics 8. Tools & Production Supplies
4. Electromechanical & Industrial Control 9. Test & Measurement Equipment
5. Electrical & Circuit Protection 10. Enclosures, Computers, & Telecom

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-28-2004 02:11 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link!
Mark - you forget that I don't only service the theaters, I also administrate the technical operations. When you work for an exhibitor, there is a lot more "small" stuff that you take care of every day that you don't get bothered with as an outside service technician - simply because they aren't "big" enough to justify the costs for bringing somebody in from the outside. But they still have to be taken care of, so when somebody then comes in to work fulltime for one exhibitor, there is years of work that has to be caught up with.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-28-2004 08:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
How can there be years of work to catch up on and you're a relatively new chain? If there's really that much work to do your customers may be going elsewhere to see movies pretty soon. Having worked for a mid size chain. I really have to ask.....

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-28-2004 11:52 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the UltraStar chain was cobbled together from the castoff cinemas from several circuits...so he has his hands full [Wink]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-29-2004 01:06 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
If there's really that much work to do your customers may be going elsewhere to see movies pretty soon.
They don't, and our attendance is steadily rising. I like to think that`s partially because of the service and marketing efforts, and maybe partially because I work 7 days a week to make things better all the time.
Some of the our cinemas are in good shape and in good market places, some are "problem childs" that we have picked up and are nurturing back to health. These give me a lot of work.
Really Mark, that kind of arrogance is very saddening. I would have expected that from some corporate management geek, but not from somebody who works in the same business and knows how much work it can be...
You may have worked in a tech position for a chain, but you clearly haven't been in technical management. That alone is a full-time job. And I still go out to all our locations and handle almost all of the emergencies and upgrades myself, as well as planning our new locations in detail.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: