Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Slide machine activating during show

Author Topic: Slide machine activating during show
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2004 04:46 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings all,

recently been having a problem with our slide machine a Kodak Ektapro coming on all by its self! We are running panalogic Ca2000 automation , the slide machine is connected via a serial plug , all the basics seem to be in order.
(could It have seen I Robot and has been corrupted!)

Any thoughts on this one ?

Phil

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-24-2004 10:33 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad serial cable?

(What was so wrong with automations that switch the power to the outlet to which the slide projector is connected? Seems like a much simpler and cheaper idea than a serial interface....)

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-24-2004 11:39 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Switching the power makes bulb cooldown hard.

--jhawk

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2004 11:56 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not unhappy about the way the slide machine is interfaced , this has worked fine in all 3 cinemas until number 3 slide machine has develpoed a mind of its own , I was curious if anyone has experienced this fault and if it can be located to either the slide machine or the panalogic system.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-25-2004 12:49 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Swap the evil silde machine with another one, then you can see where the problem is. I am not familiar with that solution. What is the pinout for the automation interface cable?

Andrew Shingleton
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2004 05:01 AM      Profile for Andrew Shingleton   Email Andrew Shingleton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had weird things happen with that exact equipment, however it wasn't totally random. Whenever a show was paused (either manually or via a film break routine), restarting it would trigger the mini-disk player to start, which would in turn trigger the slide machine. Perhaps the automation is sending a signal to your slide audio device, which is pulsing the slide machine (but you don't notice the audio device because the sound isn't on that channel).

We never did work out what was causing it, because we rarely pause shows anyway and we only have slides in one house now so it's not an urgent issue for us. I'd be interested in theories though, because it's definitly strange! [Smile]

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2004 07:38 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the same problem here In one cinema never tracked down the problem, has not done it for at least 12 months.Thought it may have been the automation (Kinoton EMK1)but wasnt that.Only thing we could put it down to is the power suppply in our area which flickers on the odd ocasion and hasnt done that for some time.Strange that it only the one slide projector which is affected.Dosent matter much as only 2 cinemas now have slides and in the next few months they will go as well.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-25-2004 09:04 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a theatre that is possessed by evil spirits here TA10's seem to have issue of projectors randomly starting and stopping on there own
Electronics are sure wonderfull somedays when they develop personalities (now where did I put all those old cinemations [Smile] )

Andrew Jefferson
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Jefferson   Email Andrew Jefferson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have Ektapro's in 6 of our 8 screens, they are all directly connected to a hard wired power point that is always on, the automation is provided via a serial cable. About four of them do the same thing (coming on by themselves). This has been happening for at least 6 months now and was put down to a dodgy power supply within the unit... nothing to do with the automation, or noise on the serial cable.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-29-2004 12:25 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disconnect the slide machine. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: