Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Booth Tools & Equipment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Booth Tools & Equipment
Rhys M. Blavier
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2004 10:49 PM      Profile for Rhys M. Blavier   Email Rhys M. Blavier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just taken over an old and run down booth operation and am trying to make sure I am not missing any tools or equipment (face shield, blast jacket, gloves, etc.) that my booth should have. In addition, I would like to try to compile a master list of what a properly equipped booth should have in it. I am interested in knowing what tools and equipment other projectionists think are necessary for any booth and what additional tools and equipment they think are helpful or useful to have in your booth or have access to (or any tools and/or equipment you may have tried using that you found were of absolutely no help at all). Anyone out there have any lists, suggestions, or assistance they have give me (and others of us out there in similar situations)?

|  IP: Logged

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2004 11:06 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be of assistance to know what type of equipment you will be using. If the equipment is from primarily European manufacturers, it will be very important to have metric tools on hand, if American made, metric will not be as important.

Regardless of equipment

Bulb Changing equipment: Face Shield, Ballistic vest, gloves

A full set of Metric and Standard Allen Wrenches, Ratchet Set, closed and open-ended wrenches.

A compliment of different size Phillips and Slotted screwdrivers. Pliers, Vice-Grips, Wire cutters and strippers. Soldering Iron (with solder).

Depending on the owner, plenty of bubble gum and paperclips and rubber bands for the MacGyver style repairs that you may need to perform.

BTW, Which theater?

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2004 12:00 AM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on how old your booth is, and how much it has been updated. I would have every size and shape of fuse that the booth uses on hand.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2004 12:12 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my rule of thumb is that if it breaks and you have to order another, order two. Order extras of everything that need to be changed out or breaks often: tension bands, bearings, gears/belts, etc. Also get an assortment of bolts and nuts.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-24-2004 12:49 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget 2 hammers, a ball pein and a claw. Sooner or later you'll need to drive a pin or drive or pull a nail.

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2004 01:32 AM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pair of snap-ring pliers are good to have around for removal and replacement of bypass and platter rollers.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2004 01:41 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lot's of people buy a lot of nice tools but forget something to put them in....buy a nice toolbox or closet to keep everything organized.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-24-2004 03:19 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Burroughs
If the equipment is from primarily European manufacturers, it will be very important to have metric tools on hand, if American made, metric will not be as important.
If running American-made gear, the only metric items you should need are a set of Allen wrenches, as there are a few items (Dolby Cat 699 and 700 digital readers for example) that have some metric hardware on them.

Some more items to have around:

-A decent digital multimeter (it doesn't have to be a $300 Fluke, there are many very affordable meters out there that will do the same thing for a lot less)

-Spare fuses (at least one spare of each size found in the booth)

-Tweeker/tuning wand (if you do your own AW3 platter timing and Dolby level adjustmants)

I'm sure I will think of more as time goes on.

-Aaron

Liam Utley
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2004 03:54 AM      Profile for Liam Utley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cordless drill with screwdriver bits and drill bit set, jewellers screwdrivers....

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2004 05:07 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Backing up Aaron's suggestion you don't need an elaborate multi-meter. I just bought a fairly decent Craftsman (can't remember model off the top of my head) at Sears for $20. It has settings for testing AC and DC amps and voltage as well as resistance and a special diode testing mode (the most usefull of all the setting).

In addition to snap-ring pliers a good pair of retaining ring pliers is nice to have. Again, Craftsman makes a good one of these.

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2004 05:10 AM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Test films: RP40, Dolby Tone, Pink Noise.

Diodes for rectifiers, if you don't have electronic ones.

Buy quality tools, you'll spend more but it's a better way of working, and you are sure not to "destroy" projectors parts (screws and so on).

Ciao
nando

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2004 08:39 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuses, lots of Fuses

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-24-2004 08:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only concern I have with cheap multimeters is there lack of accuracy especially with audio and non sinasoidal waveforms from Dimmers
Had a theatre recently where the projectionist was replacing a trigger card and his craftsman meter could only get a reading when the dimmer was at full it couldn't read the chopped wave form at any other point
Make sure it can read "true RMS" Meterman and Wavetek and Metrix make good lower cost meters

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2004 11:19 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every size allen wrench and a good socket set.
Box end and open end wrenches are handy.
About half a dozen sizes of screw drivers.
And FUSES...keep fuses, platter drive tires, extra gears for the projectors, etc.
What I like to do every 6-12 months is go through each house and inspect everything. All the hard to get to stuff.
Projectinists should be aware of loose fasteners in common places, but I don't trust them to get in the gearbox or do serious platter maintenance.
Plus paperwork is a good idea, it helps keep you in order.

Nicholas Simmons
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2004 11:47 AM      Profile for Nicholas Simmons   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Simmons       Edit/Delete Post 
Some other useful items are a wheel-driven tachometer for timing platters and "screwdriver handle" type allen wrenches for the most commonm sizes you use. For our Christie's we also have extra long T-handle allen wrenches for hard to wreach items like the shutter andjustment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: