Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » magazine roller recommendations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: magazine roller recommendations
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2004 12:56 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to change out all of my mag rollers, but I need help with a couple questions first.

Is there any purpose for a split roller? I am currently using the SPECO split rollers and I have problem with them constantly. Either one half of it wont be spinning or they start to separate and the image makes contact with the roller.

I ordered some of the strong rollers, which are split but they snap together and also use bearings. This seems like a much better design to me. However, with the bearings it will add up to appr. $15 per roller, that adds up on a 30 screen. Anyone have any experience with them?

Last thing, does anyone know of a good bearing supply that I could order from and maybe get a faster bearing than what strong sells?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2004 05:20 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a LaVezzi Catalog...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-20-2004 06:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Goldberg makes the best rollers. I would say Kelmar, but they now have that annoying "16mm groove" in the middle which is a pain to thread when you are short on time. Neumade is also an option, but they never did understand the concept that the keeper roller's entry point must be toward the end of the rod! [Mad]

Your SPECO rollers will work fine if you will just go through and reorient all of them. I was looking at that when I last visited your booth. You may want to save the money and put it elsewhere in the booth. I'll be happy to swing by one day and show you how to align them so they spin properly. Once they are set up a certain way, they will never stop spinning again. [thumbsup]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2004 07:29 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stop by anytime you like, some of them have small scratches that could be abrasive if they stopped and those will need to be replaced. I can always find something else to spend the money on.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-20-2004 07:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the scratches can be fixed too. [Wink]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2004 10:25 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I missing something here? I always thought a magazine roller was a fire-roller assembley that's part of the old reel magazines. You're not still running with magazines on the projector are you?

Now i'm all confused. [Confused] Put up some pics of these things. [thumbsup]

Danny
...waiting for my next dose of painkillers....

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-21-2004 06:04 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with enclosed magazines? As long as the fire rollers are replaced with plastic ones which aren't going to damage the film, I'd think that keeping the film enclosed while running would be a good idea.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-21-2004 06:14 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton have them as an option on some of their projectors, though now made of plastic, and only designed to keep dust off the film.

http://www.kinoton.com/spulenkasten.htm

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-21-2004 06:59 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magazines generally make it hard to see how much film is left from across the booth. (I realize some have a small window, and Kinoton's look transparent.)

--jhawk

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DUH...John:

I guess thats why magazines were also equipped with end-of-reel alarm bells. Also, If you know the size reels you are using, and the approximate running time per reeel. You can look at your watch to note when the c/o was made...and figure the rest out from there!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-21-2004 12:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Will, because if you've got to take a crap and the alarm bell hasn't gone off yet there's sure to be enough time without actually SEEING how much film is left on the reel. [Roll Eyes]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2004 12:53 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
What's wrong with enclosed magazines?
If you run platters, as i'm sure Chris' theatre does, there is a lot wrong with having magazines! [Wink]

If you don't run a platter, they just offer a section of the film path where damage could occur because you can't see if a roller stopped or something got stuck in it while the film is running! [puke]

danny

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-21-2004 01:25 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old magazine "fire rollers" were a significant source of scratched prints. Not only did the rollers catch abrading debris and sometimes not turn, Kodak often found many wore to the point of being so flat they abraded the full width of the film:

Kodak Article on Fire Rollers, Page 10

Kodak - Do Fire Rollers Rotate? Page 8

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2004 04:30 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The old magazine "fire rollers" were a significant source of scratched prints. Not only did the rollers catch abrading debris and sometimes not turn, Kodak often found many wore to the point of being so flat they abraded the full width of the film:
Uh oh... don't you know all the "great (union) showmen" ran that kind of thing back in the good old days? [Razz] heh

Danny

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-21-2004 04:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny said"Uh oh... don't you know all the "great (union) showmen" ran that kind of thing back in the good old days? heh"
yah ran them never had one seize up since I checked them every day ( since I ran nitrate for a while in one theatre they came in rather usefull) along with a lot of other items like feed motors

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: