Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rant On Bad Tech's (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rant On Bad Tech's
Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 09:06 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there bad tech's out there doing theater work.....I found at least one outfit that seems unfit to do tech work. A theater I've been helping needed a projector installed and I didn't think I had time to get it in as quickly as they needed. So, they hired this service out of Iola, Kansas that services several theaters in the area. I had the sound system tested and ready to go, all they had to do was connect the wires already in flex conduit to the projector. They installed a completely checked out (so they claimed) PRO-35 which they provided and sold to the theater. They finished the job, said it was ready to go and left. 2 days later I came to do some audio work and we decided to do a test run of the feature before the first show on this projector. The sound was low level, muddy and full of hum and noise. Turns out they never even bothered to run film and test the sound. Problem found to be a bad slit lense, probably full of oil. So much for a completely checked out projector. Also, the fire shutter is missing from the projector so if someone stops the film and doesn't close the dowser they will get a burned frame.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 07-19-2004 09:08 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post deleted by me.

[ 07-26-2004, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Jeremy Fuentes ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-19-2004 10:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I look for in a service tech is that he has had many years of previous experience in fields OTHER than projection work but related to it. One has to previously know electronics, optics, accoustics, and mechanics to be able to do projection work efficiently and dependably. I find that most serivice chains(most of you know who I am refering to) that just do service work only are by far the worst. They may have one qualified tech out of 10. I've found that most dealers are by far the most qualified and do the best service work. I've founf that its also fairly impossible to make a qualified tech out of a newbie in a short time period as some of the chain type service organizations have tried to do... with disastrous results usually.... However, there are persons once in a while that also just have the knack for the work.
Mark @ CLACO

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 11:35 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up until about a year ago Wallace Theaters, one of my former employers, used American Cinema Equipment. I was never blown away by anything they did in our booth, but then again, we didn't have many things for ol' Dave to do when he came down.
We did everything except A and B chain ourselfs, that was because we didn't have the tools. The worst part failures we had were a couple pad rollers here and there.

However, and I'm not sure who the tech was, but he was from ACE, a manager from the Horizon theater once told me about courtesy cups of projector oil being left INSIDE an operating lamp house after an oil change. What it was doing in there to begin with is a mystery to me.

Wallace stopped using ACE sometime in early 2003.

Personally I've never had any problems with ACE, and the tech who came down each time I was there (Dave Miller I believe) was pretty good and answered questions for us as well as gave some of the less experienced good advice on opperating.

[ 07-20-2004, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: Dominic Espinosa ]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-20-2004 01:01 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting. I've known Scott Hicks since around 1980, when he was basically just a tech for Larry Moyer's Portland-area theatres. I don't use their service techs extensively (I do my own work), but they've given me good advice when I've asked. Their distribution system is very effective as well. I've purchased a lot if varied items from them, and have yet to stump the company on any problem I've tossed their way.

But then... I have a booker that I consider to be red-hot. I recommended her to a good friend of mine and the relationship didn't work out at all. Different strokes, I guess.

ACE also stocks Film Guard, which gives them 57 points by default.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2004 01:22 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Fuentes
Brad, do I even have to say anything? Brad knows who my tech is...
Well as long as Brad knows. [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-20-2004 02:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy... is his name George?

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 07-20-2004 07:24 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post deleted by me.

[ 07-26-2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Jeremy Fuentes ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-20-2004 08:45 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If thats the Cliff that has the funny walk then we've been getting calls from several of his customers lately for booth supplies. Wonder whats up? Is he still in buisness or just doesn't call his customers back?

Mark @ CLACO

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 07-20-2004 09:28 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post deleted by me.

[ 07-26-2004, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Jeremy Fuentes ]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-20-2004 10:08 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ED That is an example of why I avoid and usually now refuse to do split contractor installations Responsibilty splits usually never work out there should only be one contractor or each will end up blaming the other and in the end the customer will get screwed
Also I have never had a oily slit lens cause hum so there must have been another issue as well

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2004 11:40 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brad, do I even have to say anything? Brad knows who my tech is...

No you dont have to say anything Jeremy I will do it for you..... Cliff Anderson, Mr Fly By Night himself.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-20-2004 01:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly do you mean by "Split Contractor" Gord?

In the past back in the Midwest I can't remember any big contractor problems, nor has there been any out here. At CLACO we do handle ALL aspects of an install though and we have our own full time people that do the seat installations, front ends, wall coverings, ticketing, and all other aspects of booth, auditorium work, and training. We are VERY lucky to be in this position and there are very few other dealers that can do jobs as we do them. Most rely on other contractors for various other aspects and this is what I assume you mean by split contractor.

Mark @ CLACO

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 07-20-2004 01:31 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, what kind of training does your company do? Extensive training to the point where a tech call is rare, or basic training?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-20-2004 03:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,
We offer a training program that covers projection fundamentals and normal booth training/proper film handling techniques. As for service we offer over the phone assistance and on site service. Many problems can easily be solved with a tech over the phone, more extensive problems by on site visits and regular service PM calls. Am leaving in a few min for a run through Nevada and California. Will try to keep in touch here while on the road.

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: