Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 5 tier Neutronic Platter tails wrapping

Author Topic: 5 tier Neutronic Platter tails wrapping
Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 10:52 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 5 tier neutronic platter. Whenever i have to rewind on a platter right above another active one, when the film ends sometimes it hangs off the rewind arm below the platter and it gets
tangled in film below it for a different screen that is still running and cause either a brain wrap or gets
caught in the film rewinding causing havoc.

When each theater only has 1 print playing in it I avoid the middle platter so i am ok.But when we double up in one I use all 5 platters so eventually i am rewinding above a active platter.

So has anyone run into this or have any suggestions.
Right now I either clamp and move a print or try to get there when the movie ends.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-18-2004 11:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you mount keepers on the 2nd and 3rd deck's takeup arms?

Alternatively, can your automation stop the projector motor just before it tails through the projector?

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 11:47 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by mounting keepers?

Yes we have strong SPA-7 automation and I just looked in the manual
and I could change a jumper to make the end of show cue stop the motor and lamphouse.But I'd have to add some leader at the end
to give the motor enough time to slow down, wouldn't I?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-19-2004 12:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes this is true, but if you consider yourself a professional (maybe you don't), you should be adding extra tail leader anyway. Pay attention to the end of the credits and the rating band tomorrow. It looks like crap doesn't it? That's because the labs do not provide enough tail leader whether running on platters or reels. You have to add extra (this can be extra trailers laying around).

Keepers are small rollers that hold the film onto the main roller.

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 12:26 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I would like to consider myself a professional.

How much leader do you usually add on the end?

Also, there are keepers on the arms,it's not that the film falls off the rollers it's just that gravity causes the film to sag and get caught up, and then it gets pulled threw them.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-19-2004 03:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tail leader? I usually add about 200 feet. But then again my booth is a little bit different than yours. 30-40 feet would be fine for most booths.

I see what you are saying about the film sagging. Not sure what to tell you though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: