Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Finally, Film Done Right! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Finally, Film Done Right!
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 03:29 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I visited the Regal Poulsbo 10 (WA) where I begin working as manager 8/8 and was pleasantly surprised to find a multiplex that had a bright picture with a good sound level and a sharp picture. The GM, Don Christner, is VERY particular about presentation. He's using 3000w xenons, his port glass and lenses sparkle and his heads are cleaned frequently. I'm proud to be a part of that kind of operation.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-18-2004 04:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to hear you are pleased with it. Perhaps now you will come to the realization that not every multiplex is crap without "showmen" just because they have more than one screen under their roof, or because the projectionists have never ran carbons, or because they are using those hideous platter thingeys.

BTW, burning 3000 watt bulbs isn't all that impressive. Is it 3000 watt bulbs on a 20 foot screen, or an 50 foot screen? On a 20 foot screen it would be impressive, on an 50 a joke. See my point? Also don't forget good sound quality is just as important as good sound level...but did you listen to some trailers? Odds are you will think those are too loud. [Wink]

Have fun. [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-18-2004 04:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"on an 50 a joke"

Actually Brad, At the America Theatre in Casper running an SLH on a DP-70 with a 3K lamp and Isco Ultra Star with Blue Anamorphic we got 28 foot lamberts fairly flat on scope at 90 amps. This is on excess of a 52 foot screen. Thats not a joke by any means!!

Robert,
Yea, I've heard from both my dad and sister that its a good place to see a film. They like it alot better than the Plex theatre down in Bainbridge. Dad lives in Poulsbo and Sis lives in Bainbridge but takes dad there for a film once in a while. Its good to know there is one good theatre in that chain!!

Mark

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 04:43 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That theater was one of the last Act 3 Theaters built before Regal took over. It has the typical Act 3 booth setup: Strong Super Highlight 2 consoles (4kw lamps), Simplex Millenium/5 star, Ta-10 automation (no start timers), Strong dimmers, Dolby Digital/DTS/SDDS sound all houses, and Strong platters.

[ 07-18-2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Ken Layton ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-18-2004 04:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In scope with an SLH, sure I can buy that. Not with a Highlight II and most certainly not in flat though. I would've gone with a 4K minimum given that size screen. Better to have light to spare than be pushing things to get the light you want. In the long run as things age (reflector/screen/etc) things won't continue to meet that spec, hence a 4K or higher in my book. [Wink]

Also, there are MANY excellent Regals out there. It's just that the consistency from complex to complex varies just like with any chain. You have to know where to look.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 04:57 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not measure the screen, Brad, or ask Don the size but they are very big for the size of the auditorium (certainly bigger than 20 ft.). I'm still an old carbon arc guy Brad but I'm willing to learn. And boy! is there a lot to learn in that booth. Ten machines each starting about five minutes apart. It's a good thing I played football when I was in college 'cause I'm going to need to run some more sprints.

I saw and heard the whole thing, pre-show, trailers and feature and the sound level suited me just fine.

BTW, did you get my pics?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-18-2004 04:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't received any pics, no. Make sure you are sending them to the email on the "contact us" page. Older email addresses were dumped due to out-of-control spam.

PS - that's what start timers are for. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-18-2004 06:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that flat was at about 23 fl and thats plenty of headroom for aging components. Heck, tha lamphouse had already been in service for about 4 years before the re-model. Needless the say we had to focus it back to get it to spec.

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-18-2004 06:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ten projectors without timers isn't that tough. I used to run a very busy 12 plex without any kind of timers at all. Sometimes we would have 3 or 4 of them start that the same time (very rare for 4 starts, though) and we always had at least 2 that started at the same time per set somewhere in the building. This was inbetween building up massive amounts of prints for the corporate executive's screening rooms, tons of trade screenings and work prints, and tons of special venue shows. No running required. Only Ian had "difficulty" if/when he dozed off. [Razz]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-18-2004 06:58 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do 15 screens spread over 3 booths here. Lots of shows starting in pairs, with an occasional 3rd or 4th start. No timers, plus we've got the twenty to run against.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 01:02 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As explained in the Alternative Content thread, Regal does not use start timers.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 01:07 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
I do 15 screens spread over 3 booths here. Lots of shows starting in pairs, with an occasional 3rd or 4th start. No timers, plus we've got the twenty to run against.

I dont mean to toot my own horn here, but I could do ten or 15 screens in ten seperate booths while sitting on the john, that is without timers. Try running 30 screens in 5 booths alone with up to eight starts at once.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 08:59 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eight at once is crazy !

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-19-2004 10:12 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must suck; I've been running one-plexes lately. [Razz]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 11:13 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I dont mean to toot my own horn here while sitting on the john"

What does that mean?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: